Re: 5.7 Release Plan / Timeline?

On 2023-12-13 19:08, Cordell Bloor wrote:
On 2023-12-12 15:23, Christian Kastner wrote:
For example, rocsparse itself was easy, but
documentation build requires new Sphinx packages.

The (many) Sphinx packages used in the new docs are almost entirely for the theme. I think you could probably apply a patch that restores the conf.py from ROCm 5.5 to build using the vanilla readthedocs theme.

I made that change and uploaded rocsparse 5.7.1 to experimental. The same strategy used for rocsparse could be used for any of the other math libraries that are stuck on 5.5.1 due to the docs.

A few versions back, the rocrand and hiprand libraries added documentation. Today I used the same strategy as with rocsparse to add librocrand-doc and libhiprand-doc packages to the rocrand repo on salsa [1]. I don't have access to my normal workstation at the moment, so I'll wait until next week before submitting an RFS.

I will also raise this topic with upstream to see if there's anything that can be done to reduce the maintenance burden that has come with the fancy themes and extensions added in ROCm 5.6. I was on the committee for the new docs and I objected to the added complexity at the time, but I folded on the issue because it was a necessary compromise to remain on the sphinx toolchain. In any case, one possible solution might be to ask upstream to support multiple themes (i.e., the fancy theme and a simple theme).

I don't think the Debian ROCm Team has the bandwidth to support a bunch of sphinx packages, so I will do what I can to minimize the burden.

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/rocm-team/rocrand