Re: RFS: rocfft/5.2.3-1 [ITP] -- ROCm library for computing Fast Fourier Transforms

Hello,

I have revised my package for rocfft. I am now confident enough in the package to propose upload to unstable.

The most complex part of this package is the handling of rocfft_rtc_helper. This program is a helper executable that is used by the rocfft library to work around per-process locks in hiprtc. Upstream installs this tool to the bin directory, but it's really an implementation detail of the library and is not intended to be used directly (i.e. a libexec program).

I reached out to the Debian Mentors IRC and it was suggested to me that on Debian this sort of program executable should be placed in a subdirectory of the library directory. As such, I have moved it from /usr/bin/rocfft_rtc_helper to /usr/lib/$(DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH)/rocfft/<version>/rocfft_rtc_helper. The version number is included in the path to ensure that multiple versions of the library package can be installed side-by-side during transitions.

All autopkgtests passed when I built this package on my Radeon VII workstation. Additionally, I rebuilt rocfft-test using only the installed package and verified that the library was correctly using rocfft_rtc_helper in its new installed location. Those were essentially the same tests, but built and ran against the library install tree rather than the build tree.

The only major technical limitation of this package is that there are lot of visible symbols that are only intended for internal use within the library. That may make it difficult to update the package while verifying that there's no ABI breakage. I've reported this problem upstream and I'm told that they're working on it. However, the symbols that are intended for external use are at least all prefixed with "rocfft" and upstream does intend to maintain ABI compatibility for those symbols until ROCm 6.0.

Overall, I am confident in the quality of the rocfft package. It's too late for Bookworm, but that's fine. There's still value in having these things in unstable.

I am looking for a sponsor for my package "rocfft":

 * Package name     : rocfft
   Version          : 5.2.3-1
 * URL              : https://github.com/rocmsoftwareplatform/rocfft
 * License          : Expat
 * Vcs              : https://salsa.debian.org/rocm-team/rocfft
   Section          : devel

The source builds the following binary packages:

  librocfft0 - ROCm library for computing Fast Fourier Transforms - library
  librocfft-dev - ROCm library for computing Fast Fourier Transforms - headers

To access further information about this package, please visit the following URL:

  https://mentors.debian.net/package/rocfft/

Alternatively, you can download the package with 'dget' using this command:

  dget -x https://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/r/rocfft/rocfft_5.2.3-1.dsc

Changes for the initial release:

 rocfft (5.2.3-1) unstable; urgency=medium
 .
   * Initial release. (Closes: #1022869)

Regards,
--