Re: dpkg-db

Previously Tom Lees wrote:
> It would be extremely useful to also have commands to add templates :)
> Also, I liked the idea of template-groups, a template which generates
> a "group" (you could call it a directory I suppose) of vars.

I know, I have to think a bit more on implementing templates before
I'll add that though.

> A very useful feature might be "removepkg <package>", removes all tags
> associated with <package>. Together with the dpkg-hooks thing, this could
> be used to automagically clean these out on dpkg --purge (I think).

Same comment as above applies :)

> * Definitely a library or CORBA interface to the thing (or even better,
>   both), which is then used by the frontends.

If you have the first then a CORBA wrapper becomes kind of trivial. I'm
currently busy with the back-end of the library (communicating with
database drivers), and the library API is still very much in flux.

> 1) Databases may be overloaded either partially or completely. In the
>    network example above, the config_db_hostname database is searched first,
>    but for values only (all other types it is ignored).
>
> 2) Databases may be inserted at any point in the structure, eg /printers.

Both are alreay in the proposal.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl