Dynamic configuration

Hi.
I think configuration handling has to be fully integrated
in the way dpkg/apt handles installation/upgrade/removal of
a package.
This cannot be done with static files that describe the
configuration variables a package needs: it simply doesn't work
in many cases such as package upgrades/downgrades when there is
the need to handle complex cases.
My proposal is to have a config{inst,rm} program in the control section
of a package that is called by dpkg or apt with different
command line args like it does with the other post/pre scripts.
The script can look at his args to determine the appropriate
config commands to issue (to stdout).
The config commands are then merged with the configuration database
and presented to the user with whatever ui interface we agree apon.
Note that the scripts must be run in a sane order (respecting
dependencies and the like).

Comments welcome.

lupus

--
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
    - _The UNIX Programmer's Manual_, Second Edition, June, 1972.