variable list in database

Exams are over, so I started playing around with the database. I noted
my current proposal (and all other suggestions) have a bit of a problem.

We agreed that we need to have something like a debian/control entry for
each variable that is stored in the database. An example:

    Variable: hostname
    Default: debian
    Type: hostname
     This is the fully qualified hostname of your computer.

Each package should list all the variables it uses in a file
debian/vars.

Now the problem: we don't know in advance which variables we need. An
example: take a server with 3 virtual domains. Each domain needs its own
configuration. I propose we add a new level of indirection: we create a
list of variable-templates, with the same syntax as shown above, and a
seperate list that maps variables to templates. Then we add a command
somewhere to create a new variable in the database using a predefined
template. That means we can do things like:

    Template: alias-file
    Default: /etc/aliases
    Type: string
      The location where the aliases-file for a maildomain is stored.
      For single-domain systems this will usually be /etc/aliases. For
      multi-domain system you can define this for each domain
      seperately.

And then register the actual variable as follows:

    mail-transfer-agent/alias-file    alias-file

This will create a variable mail-transfer-agent/alias-file using the
template alias-file, which will be used by all maildomains unless we
override it. Now we add a new variable for a specific domain:

    dpkg-db createvar mail-transfer-agent/my.new.domain/alias-file alias-file

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl