Re: Configuration frontend

Previously Aaron Van Couwenberghe wrote:
> Here's the simplest way to do it; just have the interpreter (yes, we're
> going to have to introduce a new scripting language for this, otherwise
> it'll be ugly as heck) be able to toggle keys as active based on specified
> criteria... We also need a rudimentary looping mechanism.

I think I have to object here. Yes, it would make things a lot easier to
use a new language. But I'm really worried about making things hard for
developers. People already have to know sh-scripting, and learn a lot of
Debian-specific tools. I know it took me quite a while to learn the
intricasies of dpkg & friends. Do we really want to invent a new
language? I fear we will loose a lot of developers then.

> 	I know perl wouldn't be a good thing to have as the backend
> configuration info format... Perhaps python or something home grown.

Using a standard communication-channel such as a pipe or stdin/stdout
and make a simple language of commands that a script and a frontend can
exchange sounds better: it would mean developers can still use their
favourite language to drive the whole thing.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl