Re: espeakup stops speaking bookworm arm64

On Apr 20, 2023, at 08:47:11, Jason White <jason@jasonjgw.net> wrote:

> Perhaps the following would also be worth trying:
>
> Rebuild Espeakup with compiler optimizations turned off and with debug symbols enabled. This might produce a beter gdb backtrace if you connect to the process when it's failing to generate output. You might also need to rebuild Espeak, though.

Working towards a better backtrace is a good recommendation.  I'd also
like to mention that there are existing Debian bookworm debug symbol
packages available for both espeak and espeakup that can avoid the
need to recompile from source.

The packages are named 'espeak-dbgsym' and 'espeakup-dbgsym' and can
be installed after enabling the bookworm-debug APT repository.  To do
that on my system, I opened the APT sources.list file, duplicated the
entry containing suite 'bookworm' for component 'main', and then
edited the duplicate to contain suite 'bookworm-debug' and to replace
URL ending '/debian' with '/debian-debug' instead.

(during the upgrade to bookworm, I converted the format of my APT
sources list, so I won't share the contents in this thread yet because
its format may be different to each of yours, a possible distraction,
but please let me know if it would be useful as a reference)

I've installed the packages and debug symbol packages on my machine,
so as we gather more ideas about how to make the problem reappear,
I'll be glad to join in tracing it down.