DisabilityXTech fund launch

Hi there Debian friends,

I want to share this grant announcement with you, in part, because I am hoping that if we get another round of funding and open another call for proposals, you may want to think about applying for funding! But, I also think it may be of general interest, since you work on accessibility, to look at the grantee list and consider the different ways that technology can be both accessible and work towards greater change! Ok, so.... the press release:

I’m very excited to share the news that Ford Foundation and Borealis Philanthropy are announcing the launch of the Disability x Tech Fund today, February 28.

A $1 million investment, the fund is the first and only national fund designed by, for and with disability leaders to support disability-led groups working at the intersections of disability rights, justice and technology.

I am on the program team which last year, coordinated a committee of leaders in disability justice and technology. We advised Ford and Borealis on philanthropic investments, identified gaps in current funding priorities, and nominated and selected the inaugural cohort of grantee partners.

We are proud to share our first cohort of grantees who are leveraging strategies in research, litigation, technology tool development, and content interpretation and translation to address issues like algorithmic bias, biometric surveillance, and inequities that create barriers to economic participation, among others.

We hope you will join us in celebrating the launch. You can read the press release for more information and for the list of grantees. Please  forward and share!

Press release: https://borealisphilanthropy.org/borealis-philanthropy-and-ford-foundation-launch-1-million-disability-x-tech-fund-to-advance-leadership-of-people-with-disabilities-in-tech-innovation/

Tweet with hashtag, https://twitter.com/lizhenry/status/1630630534010540032

Best,

Liz