Re: iceweasel

Hi.
On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 06:16:01PM +0200, Geoff Shang wrote:
> I just did this.  I'm running squeeze and had to install the following:
>
> xulrunner-1.9.2 from Experimental
> libsqlite3 from Sid
>
> I wasn't able to persuade apt-get to install from Experimental,
> despite the packages showing up in the cache.  I'm guessing there's
> some magic required for that that I don't know of.  I had to
> download them by hand, install them, then run apt-get -f install.

It's been a while, but I believe you would use something like:

apt-get install package/branch
For example:
apt-get install xullrunner/experimental
Now days, I use aptitude instead of apt-get because it seems to be better at installing dependencies.

> I'm guessing that there'll be a Squeeze backport available some time
> after the Squeeze release, but there isn't one at the moment.

Not sure.  I've seen posts in the past suggesting Debian might not continue iceweasel, but no official announcement.
Currently, I use the firefox 3.6 binary installed in my home dir.

> As far as I can tell, it works with Orca, but I now have to
> actuallly learn how to work Orca with it.  I've got a date with the
> Orca Wiki.

The only issue will be if the iceweasel version isn't the most current stable Firefox.  You want the latest firefox version to get the
best results with orca.
Orca isn't very hard to learn.  The worst problem is using speakup commands when I forget I'm in my gnome session.
Since both screen readers use espeak, it's easy to do that.

          Kenny