Re: Status of affs support in the kernel and affstools

Thanks for your reply, Michael. And all your efforts to get the patch in.

Michael Schmitz - 13.06.23, 09:58:09 CEST:
> Am 13.06.2023 um 19:20 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> > John Paul Adrian Glaubitz - 13.06.23, 08:47:11 CEST:
> >> I was wondering what the current status of the affs driver in the
> >> kernel is, did it receive the fixes that Michael(?) was working on?
> >> vaguely remember there were some issues with larger filesystems or
> >> so
> >> and that someone was working on fixing these issues.
> >
> > Well I just searched for the large size fixing patches discussed on
> > linux-m68k mailing list under subject titles "Amiga RDB partition
> > support fixes":
> >
> > While I found a steady stream of fixes for affs, including related
> > Amiga permission bit handling, quite recent fixes, even in 2023, I
> > did not found that size fixing patch.
> >
> > I recalled a discussion where Michael Schmitz talked to Jens Axboe
> > after I asked whether the patch got in on 2023-08-21. I thought
> > back then it would have went in, but maybe the last question asked
> > by Jens Axboe did not get answered?
>
> I can't remember leaving a question of Jens' unanswered - I can go
> back and have another look at the thread though.

Well I was just assuming that cause as I looked at thread display in my
mail appliation, there was a mail from Jens with a question without an
answer mail to it. But it was also just about backporting to Linux
stable. I would be happy to see it accepted for vanilla/master already.

> I admit I've lost enthusiasm for endless follow-up when a maintainer
> just won't take a patch. Chances are I've got something wrong and it's
> possible the patch does no longer apply cleanly.

I understand. Well let's see whether Jens Axboe answers. From my
experience regarding flexible I/O tester he normal accepts reasonable
patches. But I'd also consider the patch submitted as reasonable.

So maybe he just forgot to put it in.

> If someone else wants to take that patch and give it a fresh try, I'm
> OK with that.

I see.

Well I will first wait a few days whether Jens replies.

> > At least I did not found the patch in git history. Maybe I made a
> > mistake during search.

> No, it never went in as far as I know.

Would really be nice to have this settled.

Thanks,
--
Martin