Re: Current kernel for Atari Falcon install?

Stefan

Am 09.03.2019 um 13:34 schrieb Stefan Niestegge:
Hello all,

Am 05.03.19 um 22:08 schrieb David Henderson:

A Debian 10 ISO is available here:
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/10.0/m68k/iso-cd/

Booting involves copying an appropriate initrd and kernel onto your HD
and running BOOTSTRAP.PRG, either taking its arguments from BOOTARGS
file.

I've not investigated how to load the initrd into alt RAM, though, as
I've not resorted to that in Hatari yet.

Cheers,

I installed Debian from that netinstall. Only thing to do to get it
install was getting IDE port running by modprobe falconide or
patafalcon. Don't
And removing -s from the bootargs puts the kernel into TT ram which
speeded up things a lot.

Thanks for confirming this still works.

I recorded the full uncut boot process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sriz45Z4oM

So, a trimmed down version would probably be somewhat faster.
My Falcon runs at 90 MHz and has 14MB/512MB ST/TT RAM.

Kernel and simple (pre-systemd) userland still fit into 14 MB:

schmitz@hobbes:~$ uname -a
Linux hobbes 5.0.0-rc3-atari-fpuemu+ #943 Fri Jan 25 19:14:11 NZDT 2019 m68k GNU/Linux
schmitz@hobbes:~$ free
Mem:         10408       8244       2164          0        600       2048
-/+ buffers/cache:       5596       4812
Swap:      2097144       2304    2094840

The initrd used by the installer to supply modules and busybox won't fit, sorry. From what I recall, preparing an installation using emulation and booting that on a stock Falcon has the system run out of memory before swap space can be activated (Christian tried that for me a while ago). So that's not an option either.

Cheers,

	Michael

greets,
Stefan "Beetle" Niestegge