 Subject: Re: M68K status
 To: "John Voltz" <john@spy-free.net>
 Cc: debian-68k@lists.debian.org
 Date: Saturday, May 30, 2015, 4:13 PM

 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED
 MESSAGE-----

 Ingo Jürgensmann dixit:

 >> Sarge, but amiboot
 5.6 and 6.0 both have problems. If I try to start

 Weren’t most amiboot
 problems related to…

 >Do you have your kernel unzipped?

 … this?

 >Do you have "devtmpfs.mount=1“ to
 your options of the kernel command line?

 That’s only for the sid kernels, not for
 sarge and etch which
 are positively
 prehistoric now.

 John Paul Adrian Glaubitz dixit:

 >My usual way of installing
 a new Amiga with Debian would be:
 […]
 >3) Mount the newly created root filesystem
 on your PC to some
 >   mount
 point, e.g.: /mnt.

 You can
 also, at this point, speed things up and make them
 simpler by getting a pre-made filesystem image
 (ext2 though)
 or tarball; I’ll show the
 latter. This has the benefit of not
 assuming
 a Debian system as PC host; it could even work with
 BSD (though most BSD only know ext2fs not
 ext4fs which you
 really want to use on Linux
 these days) and possibly (didn’t
 test, I
 don’t have it) MacOS X.

 4a) Download it to where there is enough space
 (on the PC):

     $ wget
 http://zigo.mirbsd.org:8080/t/2015-Jan/Ara2015A.tar.gz

 4b) Verify the hash:

     $ sha256sum
 Ara2015A.tar.gz

     This
 should output:

 caa27e8dd05950d92e34c0d5e6a2b753f96fd8a62bb257b13f3f9af85d1789c2
 Ara2015A.tar.gz

 There’s also http://zigo.mirbsd.org:8080/t/2015-Jan/README.txt
     which I PGP-signed and contains the same
 hash.

 4c) Extract the
 tarball while preserving permissions:

     $ cd /mnt
     $ sudo
 tar xzpf /path/to/Ara2015A.tar.gz

 4d) Copy the kernel and initrd out:

     $ cp
 /mnt/boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-m68k /tmp/

   $ gzip -d </mnt/boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-m68k
 >/tmp/vmlinux-3.16.0-4-m68k

 4e) Adjust some configuration files:

     $ sudoedit
 /mnt/etc/network/interfaces
     (default
 network config: eth0 is 192.168.10.6, no DHCP)
     $ sudoedit /mnt/etc/hostname
 /mnt/etc/hosts
     (set the hostname you
 wish the machine to have)

     If you want to use DHCP, remove the
 line
     iface eth0 inet static
     and everything after it, and add a
 line
     iface eth0 inet dhcp
     in its place. It’s installed in this
 image.
     Otherwise /mnt/etc/resolv.conf
 may need to be edited, it uses
     some
 well-known public “spy agency” DNS resolver by
 default.

 4f) Create some
 entropy on the target filesystem:

     $ sudo dd if=/dev/urandom bs=512 count=1
 of=/mnt/var/lib/urandom/random-seed
     $
 sudo chown 0:0 /mnt/var/lib/urandom/random-seed
     $ sudo chmod 640
 /mnt/var/lib/urandom/random-seed

 >5) Umount the root filesystem from /mnt and
 mount the primary
 >   AmigaOS
 partition to /mnt instead.
     Copy
 amiboot-5.6 into a new directory on the AmigaOS system.

 6)  Place the kernel
 (decompressed) and initrd into that new

   directory as well:

 $ sudo cp /tmp/vmlinux-3.16.0-4-m68k
 /mnt/path/to/new/dir/
     $ sudo cp
 /tmp/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-m68k /mnt/path/to/new/dir/

 >7) Create an Amiga shell
 script with the proper command line
 >   for amiboot:
 >
 >   "amiboot-5.6 -d -k
 vmlinux-3.16.0-4-m68k -r initrd.img-3.16.0-4-m68k
     root=/dev/sda2 fb=false
 console=ttyS0,9600n8 devtmpfs.mount=1"

 Of course, adjust the
 root/fb/console parameters, I just took them
 from Adrian’s example. Do *not* set
 init=/bin/bash (as this system
 is already
 completely configured), but *do* set devtmpfs.mount=1.

 >8) Umount the AmigaOS
 partition, take the disk out of your PC
 >   and back into the Amiga. Boot
 into AmigaOS and make sure
 >   the shell script from step 7)
 is marked as executable. You
 >   will probably need to
 configure Workbench to show all files
 >   in a folder, not just
 icons.

 >9)
 Double-click the script you created in 7) and wait for
 Linux
 >   to boot.

 10) Log in as root with the
 password "root" (not including the quotes).

     Start GNU screen, so you
 can continue to work in another

 terminal (press ^Ac to create one, then ^A<space> to
 cycle
     through them) when one is
 running a time-consuming job:

     # screen

     Set a new password:

     # passwd root

 11) Install a few more packages. Now is a good
 time to add an
     SSH server, and
 possibly your favourite editor (the image

   has ed, jupp, and mcedit by default; you may wish to
 add
     nano or vim-tiny if you like them,
 or joe-jupp for jmacs,
     which has
 Emacs-like UI, or mg, another small Emacs-ish
     editor). These commands are dependent on
 each other, but
     while they’re
 running, you can use a second GNU screen tab
     to further explore the system, e.g. with
 "mc".

 Update the package lists (this will take several
 minutes!):
     # dselect update
         # or: apt-get update

     Now run this command, it needs to be run
 only once after
     the base tarball is
 extracted, to finish setting up the

 packages I specifically marked as needing that; by this
     point, the system should have some
 entropy (both from the

 urandom/random-seed file you created earlier, and from
     your activity (keyboard input, network
 I/O) you already
     did and, more
 importantly, the hostname should be right

   by now! It takes a short time only.

 # dpkg -a --configure

 Now you can install extra packages:
     #
 apt-get install openssh-server    # and maybe others

     If you
 did choose another editor, edit /root/.profile and
     add a line (near the bottom) that says,
 for example for mg:

     #
 echo export EDITOR=mg VISUAL=mg >>/root/.profile

     If you wish to make this
 the system-wide default, use:

     # echo export EDITOR=mg VISUAL=mg
 >/etc/profile.d/editor.sh

     Now is a good time to
 start the, rather lengthy unfortunately,

   process to get the system up-to-date. Make sure you have
 all
     packages you’ll need for the
 next few hours installed, so you
     can
 continue to work in another screen tab (e.g. run
 adduser),
     then run…
     # apt-get --purge upgrade
 --with-new-pkgs
     … which is safe to
 do at this point as you "dselect update"d
 earlier.
     Review the list of actions
 (this one should be safe, but one

 never knows) that is shown after a minute or two, then
 hit
     "y" and Enter. If it
 does not work, drop the “--with-new-pkgs”.

     After that, or – if
 you’re feeling adventurous and know Debian
     “unstable” system administration
 fairly well – instead of it,
     you can
 run…
     # apt-get --purge
 dist-upgrade
     … instead, but this may
 not work, or want to remove important

 (to you) packages.

 Every time a new kernel version is installed (i.e. one of
 the
     linux-image-* packages is updated)
 or a new initrd is generated
     (you’ll
 see that in the output), you must copy them out to the
     AmigaOS partition and possibly adjust the
 start script (it’s
     also a good idea
 to keep a backup or two around). You may wish
     to add the AmigaOS partition to
 /etc/fstab to make this easier.

 HTH & HAND,
 //mirabilos (Debian/m68k resurrector, mostly
 retired by now though)
 - --
 [...] if maybe ext3fs wasn't a better pick,
 or jfs, or maybe reiserfs, oh but
 what about
 xfs, and if only i had waited until reiser4 was ready... in
 the be-
 ginning, there was ffs, and in the
 middle, there was ffs, and at the end, there
 was still ffs, and the sys admins knew it was
 good. :)  -- Ted Unangst über *fs