Re: Modernizing a Macintosh LC III

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013, Patrick McCarthy wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Inspired by Scott ("Getting the ol' Macintosh LC475 modernized") I
> pulled my LC III out of the closet and tried to follow along to get up
> to date. I untarred Thorsten's filesystem to /, got the initrd from
> http://zigo.mirbsd.org:8080/t/initrd.img-3.10-2-m68k and the kernel from
> http://www.freewrt.org/~tg/f/vmlinux-3.10-2-m68k.gz, and since Penguin
> said it didn't have enough memory (I have 36mb total)

MacOS applications only get the amount of memory assigned to them. You can
increase Penguin's memory in Finder using Get Info under the File menu.
Given the size of this kernel image, Penguin's default setting isn't
likely to work.

> I put the files on disk and booted an emile floppy which was able to
> load.

AFAIK the Debian initrd and kernel are too large to fit on a floppy disk,
so you'd have to build your own kernel for Emile use.

> The boot hung early, however, and sat here for over an hour:
>
> http://imgur.com/sUirUFC
>
> I suspect something about the disk controller, but it seems to early in
> the boot process for that. Any idea what it's choking on?

The console output looks OK. However, the Debian kernel probably won't
boot without its modules and there's no modules because there's no initrd.

If you want to use the Debian kernel & initrd, you should use Penguin.
You'll probably want to change your kernel command line arguments also.

I don't use an initrd (I build my own kernels) so I can't tell you what
the right arguments are. Probably root=/dev/ram

Also, you probably need to specify the real root filesystem partition
(e.g. /dev/sda5) but I don't know how this is done for a Debian initrd.

Finn