Re: Getting the ol' Macintosh LC475 modernized

Finn Thain dixit:

>If you know how, it's definitely worth cross-compiling a custom kernel.

Yes, but…

>You can cut out a lot of the excess baggage in the debian kernel. I always

… for 3.10 we got rid of that baggage (except ARAnyM NatFeat, but
once the patch series related to that is in, we can switch those
(except nfcon of course) to modules, too).

Hope you like ;-)

>You can also build-in the important kernel functionality, which means you
>can then easily boot into any initrd, cd-rom installer or other filesystem
>(ide/scsi/ataoe/nfs etc) that you happen to have handy (notwithstanding
>issues with ancient userland). That sort of thing is painful when any of
>the important kernel stuff modularized.

Right, definitely.

>One day I will update the cross-build instructions and upload mac kernel

To use a cross-compiler, AFAICT just running

$ make ARCH=m68k menuconfig
$ make ARCH=m68k

is enough, if the cross-compiler is installed.

If you’re running Debian wheezy (or newer) on amd64, adding
deb http://www.freewrt.org/~tg/dp cross main
to /etc/apt/sources.list will make the “gcc-m68k-linux-gnu”
metapackage (and g++-…) installable, which you can feel free
to use. (It’ll point to and use gcc 4.8; gcc 4.6 is also still
there but then you need to make the symlinks yourself.)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
[...] if maybe ext3fs wasn't a better pick, or jfs, or maybe reiserfs, oh but
what about xfs, and if only i had waited until reiser4 was ready... in the be-