Re: Debian/Linux on Atari TT

Eero Tamminen dixit:

>I wasn't thinking that Hatari would be used for running the system,
>just help in debugging issues in getting it running.

Right.

>Issues where Hatari can help are unlikely to be dpkg related.

My idea was more to the point of testing the MMU, which
would, I think, involve doing some sort of workload.

>Hatari's main advantage over Aranym are more accurate (030) emulation
>and its debugger.
>
>I think Hatari would be best at investigating:
>- bootup problems
>- crashes that cannot be investigated at C-level
>- performance bottlenecks, mainly kernel because kernel it's
>  at fixed address

Right, I can see its strengths there.

>All together the user-space processes take about 4MB of RAM.
>Then there's the amount of memory used by the kernel on top
>of that.

Oh, okay.

>Are there some processes at bootup which dirty MBs of memory
>at bootup and which quit before login (as I saw no such thing),
>or which memory map very large files?

I don’t think so.

>If not, I think bootup should fit well into 14MB (ST-RAM). :-)

Right. On the other hand, I heard rumours that Linux needs
TT-RAM to function at all, and that ST-RAM wasn’t available
to applications. That’s another reason I wanted the mailing
list in the loop, to confirm, deny or possibly fix that ;-)

>> The installation process is especially memory sensitive, as
>> it involves a ramdisk of lots of megs…
>
>Could you point to documentation describing it more in detail?

There’s none really, but you have a kernel and an initrd,
and the entire process runs from RAM. Wouter even did build
d-i images, but they’re not yet usable for various reasons.

>Linux memory usage analysis is one of my specialties.

Oh. Great, good to know!

Thanks,
//mirabilos
--
Solange man keine schmutzigen Tricks macht, und ich meine *wirklich*
schmutzige Tricks, wie bei einer doppelt verketteten Liste beide