Re: ⎠╵⎝

schmitz dixit:

> Thanks - I'll have an update for Geert's m68k queue shortly that adds
> functional USB support on EtherNAT (kudos to David Galvez for working out the
> final kinks in the code).

Nice!

>> • stripped down to possibly boot on a TT with 4 MiB ST-RAM,
>>
> I'd be amazed to see that work!

Heh. It seems we do have to make a RL meeting. (Note I didn’t say
anything about TT-RAM. It will of course still be required. I’m
meaning 4 MiB ST-RAM, not 4 MiB RAM in total ;-)

I’ll almost certainly be at FOSDEM (considering that OSDEM was
the only one I didn’t yet attend, mostly due to age and all that)…

> Would not hurt to leave the MiNT partition in place and add an extra swap one.

Depends on the available space, I guess. Besides, those Atari
guys have MiNT on an average 5 machines per household, so…

>> • from MiNT, edit /etc/fstab on the second partition to refer to the
>>  correct path for the root filesystem (which is the second partition),
>>  e.g. via UUID= (if MiNT can show that, e.g. with tune2fs -l) or by
>>  guessing /dev/hda2 could be right… or via label

> On a TT, there's only SCSI disks so that will be /dev/sda2. No guessing as to
> the partition number required.

Ah, okay. On the other hand, this guide (and the kernel image) are
somewhat generic, so… on ARAnyM it’s /dev/nfhd8 and /dev/hda after
all.

>> Later TO-DO: investigate whether the HDD can be made “bootable” for
>> LNX, i.e. skip the TOS step.

> The ROM does not have any drivers for hard drives, so you'd have to replicate
> what current hard disk drivers do in order to get just a basic boot loader. On
> SCSI bases systems like the TT, that means quite a bit of protocol.

Hrm, okay.

> Booting a kernel from floppy should work however.

No. That may or may not work with this one (depending on whether
you can use two floppies and how much other stuff is needed on it),
but the Debian kernel is already much bigger, and modularisation
and initrd can only get you so far (plus, the initrd would also
need to be on a floppy, unless we *do* that kexec thing I already
talked about shortly in #atari-home, #debian-68k and #klibc).

> Maybe that should be enabled by default in the m68k-queue's defconfig. Maybe a

Maybe since I copied the .config from the Debian kernel as basis
this was “hidden”. IIRC Geert had updated the defconfigs.

> atari-small-defconfig should be added, based on your optimized one.

Oh, please, no! I have neither experience with Linux configuration
past 2.0.36 (with only a very short stint with 2.4.3-aa7-ac1-rwsem),
nor the actual hardware, nor m68k platform requirements.

Someone who *does* know should do that. (And, as a reminder, waldi
asked for the Debian/m68k porters to update the configs in the Debian
linux source package. I can see why, definitely… I mean, I can understand
the WLAN drivers being modules (they can be added via USB now, I guess),
and the ATI Mach 16 framebuffer driver (I’ve seen Radeon via PCI in live
action), but some of the things that were enabled were scary.)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
☎ <Natureshadow> Ich glaub ich hab mir grad mit dem [Ham]Burger die Nase abge‐
putzt… <mirabilos> Ich glaub ich hab ne neue eMail-Signatur