Re: Installation

Hello Stephen

On 01-Feb-09, you wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from Stephen R Marenka <stephen@marenka.net> -----
>
> From: Stephen R Marenka <stephen@marenka.net>
> To: Thomas Sjölin <thomas.sjolin@swipnet.se>
> Subject: Re: Installation
>
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 04:20:44PM +0100, Thomas Sjölin wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I've been away from the Amiga and m68k world for a while but just got a
>> new drive to play around with debian.
>>
>> Since I've had a go at NetBSD in between I had removed my previous woody
>> installation and now that I tried to install it again I found that I
>> couldn't get any packages through netinstall.
>
> Well woody has certainly been migrated to http://archive.debian.org/.

Ah, there it was. Strange, I thought I checked there but apparently I
didn't. I just need to configure an ftp to point there in tasksel then. How
about non-us, those packages doesn't seem to be there?

>> So, my question is this. Is it at all possible to do or do I have to
>> download and burn the cd images and install that way? Netinst would be
>> preferable but is there any ftp server where the complete dist is still
>> avaliable?
>>
>> An alternative is of course to test a newer dist but I can't seem to
>> find
>> any info on how to install either sarge or etch and not where to find
>> the
>> files needed to start installing it, again the preferred way is netinst.
>
> I'd expect the sarge installer to just work, but it's also at archive now
> so who knows. The etch installer got broken when etch got renamed to
> etch-m68k. I was using the lenny installer (dailies) to installer
> etch-m68k, but the mirror choosing code seems to be broken last time I
> tried.
>
> My notes are at <http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/M68k>.
>
> Hmmmm. Looks like I did something to kill the daily buildds. I better go
> fix that.

Well, now I'm good to go and I'll start with woody and then see if I can
dist-upgrade to sarge. As long as I get woody working I'll be happy enough.

>> Would appreciate any suggestions. I just need to find either what I need
>> to get the newer distst started or an ftp server where woody is still
>> avaliable.
>
> hth,
>
> Stephen

Thanks!