Re: debian/m68k's future

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 05:03:18PM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> Option 4: throw in the towel
> 	Say it's time to retire m68k on debian. We have an ancient
> 	glibc with borked threads. gcc-4.3 is fairly broken. A
> 	number of packages need some bugs fixed, others need some
> 	porting. Not so many helpers these days. Funny thing is with
> 	aranym we have plenty of horsepower (although we need to fix
> 	the fpu emulation) and with d-ports our buildds won't get
> 	locked out of wanna-build. Kernel's probably in the best
> 	shape it's been in a long time.

Would you say the missing TLS/NPTL for glibc is the biggest problem? I
thought there were some people working on it, which is why I stopped
even thinking about it. I know I don't spend much time on m68k work,
but I'm sure I could find a little time to do something if it made
a big difference. I'm not sure I know glibc enough to do that part,
but I know it needed some kernel support that I could probably do.

It would be nice to keep a real Linux distribution running on m68k
if we can. I don't really use my m68k boxes, but it's a great place
to hack around and learn without causing a lot of headaches.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com