Re: FOSDEM thoughts

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> * What to do with glibc/TLS (anyone hear from CodeSourcery?)

We are currently working with Freescale's kernel engineers on finalizing
the kernel interface for TLS and NPTL.  We expect the toolchain and kernel
implementations to be completed, and contributed to FSF binutils / FSF GCC
/ EGLIBC / kernel.org, some time this year.

Obviously Debian would then need to backport patches to the relevant
versions of the various components, although it's likely we will do a
backport to GCC 4.3 for our own use at some point.  The binutils changes
are likely to overlap heavily with changes for multi-GOT support for
ColdFire we have completed and will be contributing before starting the
TLS work, so backporting TLS without also backporting multi-GOT may be
tricky.

(Multi-GOT addresses the issue mentioned in the ABI proposal of memory
address offsets on ColdFire being limited to 16 bits while avoiding the
larger and slower code sequences mentioned to use 32-bit offsets there.
Either multi-GOT, or GCC support for generating such larger code sequences
(also implemented and to be contributed), is needed to build some large
pieces of software such as PHP for ColdFire.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com