Re: help with NIC needed

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 11:26, Dominik Szczerba wrote:
> >>I managed to boot the kernel and start the installation on my A1200/030/mmu
> >>with 3com etherlink III card but I don't know how to activate network - the
> >>

> >That's an ISA card?
> >
> no, it is PCMCIA, oh, did I miss some pcmcia modules?? there is none in
> modconf...?

There is no general purpose PCMCIA driver for the A1200 (yet).

The only supported PCMCIA cards are NE2000 clones, using the apne
driver.

By the way, aren't you talking about the 3C589 card (which is the PCMCIA
version of the Etherlink III)?

I was working on a PCMCIA socket driver for the A1200, but the Commodore
implementation is too brain dead to be generically useable. It started
to work a lot better once I could get the socket to reset properly
(without needing any hardware hack!).

I have tried many different PCMCIA cards, the only ones that generally
work are NE2000 clones and UART/modem cards. Others just reset the
machine as soon as you plug them in, keeping it in reset state after
that, or just don't work at all (don't even get detected properly).

I even managed to completely 'erase' an old Xircom card by just plugging
it in. After that, it didn't work anymore on a PC either...

I have a 3C589 card myself, and I could get it to detect OK but I
couldn't transmit/receive any packets. After hours of frustration I just
gave up on it and plugged back in my old Dynalink L10BC.

In other words... just get an NE2000 clone ;-)

Kind regards,

Kars.