Re: help with NIC needed

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 18:03 +0100, Dominik Szczerba wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I got another pcmcia card (RTL 8139*) and this one doesnt work either.
> This one is also supposed to work with the kernel - and indeed it does
> work smoothly with my notebook (as pcnet_cs module). So what exactly is
> the problem here, the drivers (3c589_cs, pcnet_cs) wouldnt compile for
> m68k kernel, or it is hard-compiled in the kernel but doesnt work?

Once again:

> >There is no general purpose PCMCIA driver for the A1200 (yet).
> >
> >The only supported PCMCIA cards are NE2000 clones, using the apne
> >driver.

There is no PCMCIA socket driver for the Gayle chip (I am/was working on
one), so none of the *_cs drivers are compiled by default, or work.

The fact that a card works on a PC is no guarantee at all that it will
work under Linux/m68k. I have tried several 10/100 Mbit cards which
normally use the pcnet_cs driver, and none of them work. Only the
cheapest kind of NE2000 compatible cards seem to work.

Kind regards,

Kars.