Re: Problem with X

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 00:39, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Op di 06-01-2004, om 22:41 schreef Storm66:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to use X on my a2000, when I launch the "startx"
> > command the X Server does not launch with the following message :
> >
> > could not open default font 'fixed';
>
> You didn't install all packages you need to work with X. Try to install
> "x-window-system-core" and its dependencies; that should give you the
> absolute minimum you need to run an X server. You'll need to add an X
> Window Manager and probably an Xterm, too, but that's up to you.

Yes, all packages are installed since more than 1 year. I upgrade
(apt-get update/upgrade) the system and as some packages concerning X
were modified I made a try with X (was not OK since many months).

I do :

apt-get install x-window-system-core
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, x-window-system-core is already the newest version.

So, all seems OK, but I have that bloody #?!@ message !

I look at some packages :

dpkg --status xserver-common
Package: xserver-common

dpkg --status  xfonts-base
Package: xfonts-base

dpkg --status  xfonts-100dpi
Package: xfonts-100dpi

 dpkg --status  xfonts-75dpi
Package: xfonts-75dpi

dpkg --status xfonts-scalable
Package: xfonts-scalable

dpkg --status xutils
Package: xutils

I try to reinstall xutils as all font packages require xutils
and ... surprise ...

apt-get install xutils
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  cpp-3.2
  cpp-3.2
1 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 112  not
upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/750kB of archives. After unpacking 414kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Very strange O Bytes to get ?
(the package not fully installed is "ipmasq" which abort at install
time).

I look in /var/.../arc and I found the offending file as a result of
a previous upgrade but not installed ?

The xutils package seems to install well :

Preparing to replace xutils 4.2.1-6 (using .../xutils_4.2.1-15_m68k.deb)
Unpacking replacement xutils ...

All went OK, but X still not working complaining about its "fixed" font.

I try to comment out all the fonts in the section and I get the same
results, with or without xfs, with or without fonts the result is the
same !

Any ideas ?

Regards

--