Re: Results of trying 2.6.7 and 2.6.8 on Macintosh Quadra 650

Erik C.J. Laan wrote:

Hi,

These are the results of my experiments with the 2.6.7 and 2.6.8 kernels
from Christian's site
(http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/kernel-image/) on my
Macintosh. This Mac is a Quadra650 with 24 Mb RAM, a broken internal
SCSI-bus due to a battery leaking, an onboard Sonic Ethernet and a CNet
Technology, Inc., CN420MAC II/E, EtherNet card in NuBus slot D. On the external SCSI bus it has a Syquest 44Mb removable drive as sde (no cartridge in it), a HP Scanjet 3p (turned off) and a tower with 4x 500Mb disk (ID 0 t/m 3, sda up until sdd), a HP SureStore 6020 CD (ID 4) and a tape-drive (Archive Python 28388, model 4324RP). Kernel output was captured with a serial connection to a i386 machine.

What I did was make a copy of a woody installation to another disk (to
/dev/sdb3), and tried to start the 2.6.7 and 2.6.8 kernels with this commandline: "root=/dev/sdb3 mac53c9x=1,0 debug=ser console=tty0" from Penguin (-19). Kernel 2.2.25 boots fine with this setup (see attached 2.2.25.txt for reference).

For both kernels I needed to set the segment count in the ELF header to 2 using Finn Thain's perl pearl (;-) posted 14/6/2004 to debian-68k. Otherwise Penguin would fail with a backward seek error.

The first try was without any special measures. The bootlogs are attached as 2.6.7-mac_run1.txt and 2.6.8-mac_run1_and_2.txt. Because it fails when starting the Sonic's driver, I experimented with tricks that would help others get through such errors on 2.0.x en 2.2.x kernels before: Starting MacOS without extensions (pressing Shift on bootup) and starting Linux/mac68k without the networkcables connected. With the networkcable disconnected. 2.6.7 got a few characters further (2.6.7-mac_run2.txt) but 2.6.8 died at the same point. Without loading MacOS extensions both got a few characters further (see 2.6.7-mac_run3*.txt and 2.6.8-mac_run3*.txt respecively).

I'll try without the second Ethernet card in the machine a.s.a.p. If this won't work, can someone tell me if I can disable the driver for eth0 (and eth1) if these keep hanging the kernel? I won't get a usable kernel that way (need the network to install), but I maybe able to provide testing of other kernel-parts of these drivers don't stop it from booting anymore.

Sorry to followup on my own message, forgot to write something. I also tested with the Syquest turned of, as you see from the 2.2.25 bootlog I'll generate some error's because there's no cartridge in there. This didn't make a difference.

HTH, Erik
Erik C.J. Laan				elaan at dds.nl
Please reply below the message, please cut unrelevant pieces from a reply.