Re: "unable to open initial console" overcame

V Út, 10. 08. 2004 v 00:14, Wouter Verhelst píše:
> > well, your patch makes sense but the Warning is printed by kernel
> > itself, probably before the userdevfs is activated.
>
> Yes, I know that. But the userdevfs-dev.txt file is used to generate the
> ext2 filesystem, so that creates the device nodes which are on the
> initrd even before it boots.

I checked like 20 times the major and minor number of the /dev/console
and I can swear it's 5.1. But I am looking forward to testing next daily
build of d-i with the fixed /dev/console :)

> Really. That's the problem.

even if it was it wouldn't explain why on other Atari computers it works
OK.

> > I didn't get to selecting the language. It freezed before that.
>
> Oh. Could you provide a log?

Sure. I am just recompiling kernel to see why the videoram so often
points to the ramdisk memory. Hmmmm.

with atafb:vga16:
atafb_init: screen_base allocated at 00f80000, size=0004c000
set_screen_base(virt=00f80000, phys=01b80000)
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
Determined 640x480, depth 4
   virtual 640x972
fb0: Atari Builtin vga16 frame buffer device, using 304K of video memory

Jesus. It allocated videoram outside of ST-RAM! Can anyone explain this?

Back to d-i:

with atafb:vga2 it places the videoram into ST-RAM and so the boot
continues:

Freeing initrd memory: 327k freed

That's all what's sent over the serial cable. The rest I'll have to
retype manually:

Setting up filesystem, please wait...
umount: /initrd/dev: Invalid argument
Starting ssystem log daemon: syslogd, klogd.
Setting up Userspace DevFS:
  Userdevfs sub-arch specific handling ...
Userdevfs done.
(process:149): INFO: kbd-mode: setting console mode to Unicode (UTF-8)

Now it waits for about two seconds and then the white font color turns
to red one (I'd say whole memory was overwritten and it touched also the
graphics color registers :-|). And that's the end.

Petr