Re: Quadra 950 Floppy Drive

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 04:36:34AM +0100, Carsten Neumann wrote:
> isn't the hardware very similar to the one in the IIfx?

Yes, it's functionally identical. The chips are just at a different
address, but that's already in the driver.

> On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Hank wrote:
> > I see that floppy support has been built into the patched 2.2.20 kernel.
> > dmesg | grep -i fdhd    returns the following:
> >     SWIM-IOP: drive 0 is an FDHD (ext, floppy, removable, primary)

With the driver as it exists in the default tree, this is about the
only part that actually works.

> > I'm not able to find any device for this in the /dev directory. Most likely
> > because there  isn't one.
> >
> > Is there a way to make one, so I can test this device?

mknod /dev/fd0 b 2 0

However, I can assure you that it won't work. There are some serious
bugs in the driver. I posted a patch to the linux-mac68k list that
fixed some of the issues, but even then it isn't useful, and is more
likely to crash. The only thing I got working properly was eject. If
someone wants a copy of my patch, I can dig it up. I think I know
at least one more thing that needs to be changed that might make
read/write of data blocks work, but I haven't had the time to get
my IIfx running again and fix the code.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com