Re: Installing an Amiga 3000T

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-09-07 13:14:53 -0400, Christian T. Steigies <cts@debian.org>
> wrote in message <[🔎] 20030907171453.GA30721@gleep.home>:
> Geert volunteered to build me a kernel and I'll have a try with that.
> Unfortunately, I've not yet a m68k-linux cross-toolchain, so I can't do
> it myself right now.

apt-get source toolchain-source and friends :-)

Although I'm still using a good lod .95.2 for kernels.

> > > Well, then I started to play around:
> > >
> > > - Woody's root.bin with kernel-image-2.4.20-amiga kernel:
> > > 	- Doesn't work at all, because amiboot-5.6 cannot boot that
> > > 	  kernel. It's too large. I wonder if *anybody* has ever booted
> > > 	  this image...
> >
> > I am using it, Amiga2000, 128MB RAM. Unless you happened to get the one
>
> Wow, loads of RAM:) I think my box has got 12+2, so most probably
> amiboot doesn't have any problem finding enough RAM to place kernel
> and/or initrd.

My A4000/40 also has 12+2. It works (slowly), but you do need swap ;-)

> Well, where can I get more RAM? Ebay? I'll have a look (I know that
> Linux with a lot of swapping isn't much fun, though...).

You need ZIPs for A3000. And the motherboard is still limited to 16 MB.

> > which I built for all subarches (amiga, atari, mac, *vme), that one does not
> > boot for me either, but that one never made it into the archive. You are
> > sure you unpacked the kernel-image package? But then I never tried to
> > install with that kernel.
>
> Yes, I am. But I do have a lot less RAM compared to you, so it might
> simply be some too-less-RAM problem. I'll sport for some more RAM.

You can also try putting the ramdisk image on a spare partition using rawwrite
under AmigaOS.

> > cts@aahz:~>uname -a
> > Linux aahz 2.4.20 #2 Sat Jun 21 16:37:51 EDT 2003 m68k unknown
> > cts@aahz:~>uptime
> >  13:13:43 up 53 days, 13:14,  1 user,  load average: 1.00, 1.01, 1.17
>
> Nice:) What CPU is this? 030?

IIRC he has an '060 board, which can accomodate the additional RAM.

> > > - Potato install kernel + Woody root.bin
> > > 	- Oopses some time after I've started to install the base
> > > 	  system while accessing 0x00000023 (-> seems to reference some
> > > 	  struct element...)
> >
> > Shouldn't happen, the woody kernel works fine for me.
>
> 8^D Maybe there's some bug in the swapping code. I had something like
> that on MIPSel, too. Some shift value wasn't correct, but I fear I'm not
> yet deep enough into m68k/linux to investigate this...

Mine does survive apt-get update and upgrade, although I did remove everything
from testing and unstable from sources.list.

> > > 12+2, but not sure:)
> >
> > 12 Chip sounds a little much, 12 Fast sounds a little little, do you have a
> > swap partition?
>
> Of course:) Would you offer to do a test for me? I don't want to ruin
> your uptime, but if you're booting your box the next time, could you
> please add 'mem=9M' (or rip it off if m68k doesn't handle this) to see
> if the box is stable while going deeply into swap (start a gcc-3.3 or an
> apt-get update). 9MB should be what's remaining after initrd got
> decompressed. I'm really interested in the result here...

You can do this with Amiboot.

Many years ago (2.0.x-era?) I limited Fast RAM to 2 MB for a `quick' test, and
was able to boot, launch X, twm, and xterm ;-)

Debian installers are a different beast... I installed mine many years ago and
used Debian upgrade features to keep it current.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds