Re: Installation Fun on SE/30

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 01:35:18AM -0400, Mauricio wrote:

> Anyway, since I have under 300MB for the system, I was planning,
> after looking at
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/m68k/ch-partitioning.en.html#s-planning-use,
> to start with something on the lines of the Work_std task but with a
> bit more.  I really do not know what to put in the machine, besides
> that X will not be installed.  You see, the objective of this machine
> is to teach me the difference between Linux and the other unix
> flavours and lookalikes I have used.  So, how much would it need,
> say, to show me how it differs from Solaris?

I have tried to avoid using Solaris pretty successfully. The few times I had
to use it, I found it somewhat usable, if you can use zsh or maybe even
bash. If you get used to the window manager, or can use fvwm and configure
it to your needs. If you can live without a decent C compiler. I am not sure
if they ship with perl or other essential packages? Then if you manage to
let the programs on the solaris box use your linux box as an Xterminal and
you can access the data on the sun via nfs, solaris becomes really useful
;-)

The potato base install needs a little less than 100MB, for woody that will
be a little more than 100MB. The good thing about debian is, you can remove
packages again when you are done testing them. I think you can do a lot in
300MB, if this is not your main machine. I am using a 2GB partition for /usr
on my i386 boxes, which is still enough for all the software I installed. My
Amiga used to have a 400MB root partition, extra partitions for building
packages. But those 400MB were enough for installing everything I needed to
build lots of packages, like XFree, libc, SDL, ... so you should be able to
have a nicely working installation in 400MB, if you don't need X or xemacs
installed on that box. Of course space for storing files, your home dir, is
pretty limited. Why don't you add an extra disk? I just ordered some 4.5GB
SCSI disks for $20 a piece, I hope they will work. If you use IDE, you can
get even more for little money, but my IDE controller seems to have blown up
:-(

> BTW, I just wanted to add that once I changed "boot" to "root", all
> went well.  So, I am pretty much on my way to complete installing
> woody in my Mac SE/30. =)

Thought so ;-)

Christian