Re: apt-get question

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 04:17:10PM -0500, Russell Hires wrote:
> I've got a question about apt-get. I'm attempting to install postgresql and
> associated packages by using "apt-get install postgresql" There are about 4
> packages all together and none of them will install. The error I get is
> something about it can't configure itself, so it won't install, leaving
> unconfigured. Then it says something about "try (--configure)" but apt-get
> doesn't recognize that --configure. What is it talking about when it says
> (--configure)?

You have to use the something-something program and give it the
something-something-something option of course.

Not clear? Now, if you told us _exactly_ what apt tells you, we might help
you. If I look into my crystal ball, I think you want to call dpkg with
--configure and not ap-get. But this is just a wild guess. You might also
show us your /etc/apt/sources.list and make sure that you run "apt-get update"
before "apt-get install xxx".

My box is not well configured right now, too many testing packages:
root@aahz~>apt-get install postgresql
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:

If I "apt-get -f install", apt proposes to remove a few packages, which
could fix the situation (but I want to keep them packages). Did you try what
apt suggests to you? I find the error messages rather verbose, but maybe you
have hit an undocumented spot.

You might also install all the packages by-hand which apt lists, or use
dpkg.

Christian.