Re: kernel-images 2.2.17

Hi,

> > .. the problem with the clgen-drvier in debug-mode is still there.
> You mean the patch removing the debug message was not included? Mea culpa.
> Will check it and build a new image if thats the case. I think the patch is
> in Nicks kernel-patch package, wonder why it should not be included in the
> kernel image... but since I do not have a clgen based card, I can not test
> it.

I tried 2 different versions of the 2.2.17-kernel

1. http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/kernel-image/
(the one i was referring to in my previous posting)

this one has still the debug-messages and a flashing Power-LED
(Heartbeat ?!)

2. in the meantime i updated to 2.2r2 (via dselect
using apt on ftp.de.debian.org) and got a different kernel
2.2.17 :

No Debug-messages, but seems to be not as stable as the
other one; 2 times i got a frozen system (rebooting was
the only thing possible :-()

Any hints ?

> Did you try to build a kernel yourself using the kernel-patch package?

No.

> > Anyway, who would have to really fix this (kernel-changes) ?
> You? You have a card, you can fix this, ie work on the driver.

Right, everybody having a card can fix this =:-)

-

There was another problem when switching from Debian 2.0 to 2.2 :
each tty (and therefore X too) starts in the default fb-mode 640x480.

After trying a lot of different approaches to put fbsets at the right
places and lots of doc-reading, i found the following in
/usr/doc/xserver-fbdev/README-.Debian :

To change resolutions, do the following command:

openvt -c # fbset 1280x1024-60

Obviously, # is the tty number, and be sure to replace the resolution
with one your hardware supports.

which led to a script /etc/init.d/fbset.sh :

#
# fbset.sh  Set fbset mode.
#
# Version:  @(#)fbset.sh  1.1  20-Dec-2000  panik@apg.lahn.de
#

fbset 1024x768-70
openvt -c 2 fbset 1024x768-70
openvt -c 3 fbset 1024x768-70
openvt -c 4 fbset 1024x768-70
openvt -c 5 fbset 1024x768-70
openvt -c 6 fbset 1024x768-70
openvt -c 7 fbset 1024x768-70

and the link /etc/rcS.d/S34fbset.sh.

This seems to work fine so far (you have to use xdm to keep
the new fb-mode; because when using startx, you have to run
fbset before each and every startx, which is bad, because
fbset only works as root (?!) and there seems to be no place
to put commands to be executed automatically *before* every
startx).

I am using this right now as well on my i386-Debian-machine,
that runs the matrox-fbdev. (Ofcourse only for the console,
not for X; there is an xserver with support for accelerated
gfx on matrox, so no need for x on fbdev there).

Only question is : am i doing something wrong ? rcS.d is rather
deep down in the system (as far as im concerned :-))

Bye..