Re: But my Mac can't even find the modem port

> I use the slink version or the current. I always receive the message "ttyS0
> is a undefined"  "ttyS1 is a undefined." I tried setserial, but Michael
> Scmitz said this was an Intel program, try setsccserial. This program says
> its an Amiga specific package and won't install even with the --force
> option. My PC defines the ttySx's fine, 16550a etc.
>
> But I'm trying to get my serial ports to work on the Mac, not the PC. What
> chipset is used on the IIci. Did your install program identify them the
> first go round? Or did you have to fight with it to get it to run?

Once again: the 'is a undefined' messages are not a problem. The setserial
program wrongly assumes the serial controller will be a 16450 or 16550
while probing the serial interface. It doesn't find what it expects, and
gets a bit confused. The serial controller on Mac is a Zilog 8530 SCC.
Does that help you in solving the problem?

All other functions of setserial use the ioctl system call interface,
passing the desired function code and data to the kernel for e.g. a speed
or character size switch, and the kernel takes care of actually
configuring the serial controller. The kernel knows what piece of hardware
is used on Amiga, Atari, Mac, VME etc. and does the right thing.

setSCCserial should be an Atari specific package. It should be working on
a Mac for the standard operations (recalculating the baud rate generator
setup won't work because Atari and Mac use different clock source and
clock speed, but as these functions also use the ioctl interface, and the
corresponding ioctls are not implemented for the Mac driver, all you
should get is a 'no such function' error message. setSCCserial should be
easy to adapt to Mac, and I'm quite certain the setSCCserial maintainer
will be happy to take patches).

If setserial fails to initialize your serial port to the desired speed,
character size, stop bit length setting please post a description of the
problem, including the setserial command line you used, to
linux-mac68k@mac.linux-m68k.org.
If you think the 'is a undefined' message is annoying or confusing enough
so it should be fixed, report a bug against the package containing
setserial to the Debian bug tracking system (submit@bugs.debian.org is the
e-mail address IIRC, make sure you read the description how to format a
bug report, or used debbug).