Re: Potato Installation guide-Mac

Hi,
On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 10:07:15PM +0100, Mark Scott wrote:
> OK here is the latest version.  I think I have taken this as far as I am
> able, but its late and I'm starting to get confused.  Christian Michael
> feel free to amend edit as required.  Maybe I'll feel better in the morning
Thank you very much for updating it. But please do two things next time, if
possible even for this version.

If you update it, take the current version from CVS or the current
boot-floppies as starting point. Michael made some changes, I made some typo
corrections, I do not want to merge them all in again.

Then, your line length sucks (sorry). Its absolutely unreadable, unprintable,
unmaintainable. Yeah, joe can linewrap automatically, but thats a lot of
work still. And it makes it very hard to diff with the previous version. So
please use a linelength of less than 80 chars.

Next (point three of two ;-), please send a diff next time. Diff against the
previous version you have. Saves a lot of bandwidth and makes it much easier
to see what you have changed. diff -u debian-mac.txt.orig debian-mac.txt
I want to see what has changed before I check it it.

I started playing a little with sgml, I think we should really got for sgml
and create all versions out of one single file. Basically all guides have
much in common, so its easier to keep them in sync. sgml creates a nicely
formatted text output _and_ it can generate html and lots of other stuff as
well. I do not want to reinvent the wheel, we should feed out updated to the
main documentation, but still I think the quickinstall is needed and should
be made using sgml (or something similar, debiandoc? Not an expert on that
field). Maybe if somebody want to help, I can make a tarball. I think I will
either start with the VME or amiga guide, since all others are based on the
amiga one and VME seems to be the most up to date wrt potato changes due to
Nicks work.

> Incidentally I saw a file macinstall.tgz on the ftp site does this need to
> be mentioned ? Is it an equivalent to the Install.sit archive for the slink
> distribution
Yup. Somebody told me that StuffIt can now extract tgz files. This tgz
contains the mac dir, so, if you can unpack it, its all you have to download
(plus base.tgz of cause).

Ok, please don't get me wrong, I appreciate your work, but please improve it,
send me a diff, if possible to the current version, and I will merge it and
check it in.

Christian