Re: Potato Installation guide

Mark Scott wrote:

> Here it is and hopefully reasonably complete and correct.  I would be
> grateful if anyone identify's errors and omissions would let me know and I
> will put them right.  This document is very similar to the slink guide so
> most should be familiar
>
>                      Name: debian-mac.txt
>    debian-mac.txt    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>                  Encoding: quoted-printable

Attached is a diff with a few suggested changes.

Ray Knight
audilvr@speakeasy.org
*** debian-mac.txt.old	Thu Jun 15 21:02:02 2000
--- debian-mac.txt	Thu Jun 15 21:26:24 2000
***************
*** 11,25 ****
  This guide is intended to help you install the Debian/m68k GNU/Linux (Debian) base system onto your 68k based Macintosh.  The most recent version of this document is on-line at the Linux/m68k web site (www.linux-m68k.org/dists.html).

  Introduction.
! Debian for Macintosh, or other computers using the Motorola 68000, is less than four years old.  Considerable development progress has been made but there is still a lot to do, and a lot of bugs may be undiscovered.  Debian is not commercial software so installation is challenging and may not be smooth or even possible for your hardware.  The Mac project web site lists the supported models, if your model isn't listed, assume it's not supported yet, ask on the mailing list, or give it a try, but please don't be disappointed if it doesn't work.  Debian will not run on machines without a paged memory management unit usually this means you will need a 68030 or better cpu.  You may succed with a 68020 processor plus seperate fpu.

! Debian distributions known by various names.  This version, 2.2  is known as potato, the previous version 2.1 is known as slink and the version before is woody.  You may find this helpful when navigating WWW and FTP sites.

  Before you start.
  Backup your current System, you can do a lot of damage very easily if you are new to Linux or Unix in general. If you have a spare hard drive or other media, this is the chance to use it for creating a backup. You will be required to partition your hard drive if you wish Linux to reside on the same hard drive as the MacOS.  This can be a lengthy and tedious process but is also highly dangerous. If in any doubt backup before going any further and ensure you have the original system and software disks to hand.

  	Check out if your system is suited for Linux/m68k
! 	(www.linux-m68k.org/status/sysreq.html)
  	Read the Linux/m68k FAQ (www.linux-m68k.org)
  	Check the Macintosh project web site.

--- 11,26 ----
  This guide is intended to help you install the Debian/m68k GNU/Linux (Debian) base system onto your 68k based Macintosh.  The most recent version of this document is on-line at the Linux/m68k web site (www.linux-m68k.org/dists.html).

  Introduction.
! Debian for Macintosh, or other computers using the Motorola 68000, is less than four years old.  Considerable development progress has been made but there is still a lot to do, and a lot of bugs may be undiscovered.  Debian is not commercial software so installation is challenging and may not be smooth or even possible for your hardware.  The Mac project web site lists the supported models, if your model isn't listed, assume it's not supported yet, ask on the mailing list, or give it a try, but please don't be disappointed if it doesn't work.  Debian will not run on machines without a paged memory management unit usually this means you will need a 68030 or better cpu.  You may succed with a 68020 processor plus seperate mmu.

! Debian distributions known by various names.  This version, 2.2  is known as potato, the previous version 2.1 is known as slink and the next version in development is woody.  You may find this helpful when navigating WWW and FTP sites.

  Before you start.
  Backup your current System, you can do a lot of damage very easily if you are new to Linux or Unix in general. If you have a spare hard drive or other media, this is the chance to use it for creating a backup. You will be required to partition your hard drive if you wish Linux to reside on the same hard drive as the MacOS.  This can be a lengthy and tedious process but is also highly dangerous. If in any doubt backup before going any further and ensure you have the original system and software disks to hand.

  	Check out if your system is suited for Linux/m68k
! 	(www.linux-m68k.org/status/sysreq.html) or
! 	(maclinuxstatus.sourceforge.net/status)
  	Read the Linux/m68k FAQ (www.linux-m68k.org)
  	Check the Macintosh project web site.

***************
*** 107,112 ****
--- 108,115 ----

  If installing from CD-ROM, double click on the "Penguin Prefs" icon in the /install/mac directory on the CD.  The path to Kernel and ram disk image should not require adjustment here.

+ If installing to a Quadra 950 you will need to edit the kernel options command line on the settings screen.  After the root=/dev/ram enter mac53c9x=1  this will tell the driver for the SCSI controller to ignore the external bus as it will otherwise hang the Quadra 950 when probing SCSI devices.  This means you will not be able to use any devices on the external device in Linux.
+
  The screen will change colours, a few seconds of delay, and after that a black screen with white text should come up, displaying all kinds of kernel debugging information. After a couple of seconds, the installation program should start automatically. If you get up to this point, you can be quite confident that you will be able to install Linux on your system.  If the installation program complains about not finding any disks or partitions to install on check your partition types and paths again.

  The installation program will lead you through a series of steps, preparing the partitions for  Linux, unpacking and configuring the kernel modules and base system and finally rebooting.  You move through the information presented in each screen by using the cursor keys, use the TAB key to confirm your selection and Return or Enter to move to the next step.  Some of the steps are not necessary or even possible on m68k platforms  The installation program is the same as the i386 (Intel based systems) version of Debian and some features are not available in the m68k version.
*** 178,183 ****
--- 181,188 ----
  	Determine whether you want to continue installing the system via a PPP line
  	or not, and configuration of the PPP connection scripts.
  	Set an "installation profile" of packages you want to install.
+
+ If your system seems to halt during the boot sequence for an unusually long period try hitting the Ctrl-C key combination.  Some Macintoshes will hang when running the hwclock program on startup.  If this fixes the problem you will want to edit the hwclock.sh file in /etc/init.d to comment out the hwclock program after installation is complete.

  After these steps, you are automatically directed into the "dselect" program the interface-driven package installation manager.  Packages give you the ability to do work with your new Linux.  Packages can be found in the following directories:-
  	/pub/debian/dists/potato/main/binary-m68k/		Core section