Re: pseudo-images

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 01:29:39AM +0800, Erich Morfeld wrote:
> I would just like to express an opinion.  Whether you agree or not please feel free to respond...to the list.
me too, your line length is too long.

> What is the deal with pseudo-images?!  Someone with considerable technical
> skill spent the time and effort to re-invent the wheel!  What is wrong
> with just posting the #%@$&* .iso image?!  1 file to download and burn.
No comment on w98, but I think its intentional, that its a little harder than
just downloading the images. In the us and canada, your network connection
may be cheap or even free (why not install via the network, you don't need
CDs then) but in europe and in the rest of the world probably, you are
charged by the second. So are the companies donating hardware and bandwidth
to debian. Imagine every debian user to download the images to burn just one
CD, its cheap for you but not for the debian donors. With the pseudo images,
you create a nearly complete image from a debian mirror near to your place
(there are more debian mirrors around than debian-cd mirrors) and rsync a
few MB via the net. By this the net-load is distributed over many servers.
But for a correct explanation better look on the web pages and/or ask on
debian-devel.

> I am waiting for LSL to send me a copy of Debian 68k on CD so I really don't need help.  I just wanted to rant.  Thank you :)
See, it all makes sense. Vendors get the iso files once to burn many images.
You don't need the images, you just need the CD, if at all.

Good luck with your CD. But you ordered slink CDs? These should be available
on debian-cd mirrors as well, or have they all gone rsync? For potato it
might be even harder to find mirrors, since we will have binary CDs for 6
architectures plus source CDs, 28 CD images... do you volunteer for
providing a debian-cd mirror?

Christian