Re: kernel-patch questions

"Russell Hires" <rhires@earthlink.net> writes:

> Hello list,
>
> I'm beginning to understand why I need to use the modified sources (not
> the ones from kernel.org) to compile the kernel. I first had a problem
> with the fpsp040 code, which I patched with little trouble. Now I've got a
> problem with the code not compiling at another point.
>
> Do I need to apply all the patches from the kernel-patches .deb
> file, the 2.2.10 patch, or just give up and get the modified source? On
> the other hand, how come the kernel patches haven't made it into the main
> kernel source tree?
>
> Here's the latest compile errors from my most recent attempt to
> compile the 2.2.12 kernel.

What kind of hardware do you have?  If it's a mac, you should be on
the linux-mac68k list.  Otherwise I can't help you.

Your best bet for compiling a kernel (for a mac) is to get the latest
2.2 source from cvs.  Search the linux-mac68k archive for cvs or
cvsroot, and you'll find the instructions.  If you don't find it,
search for my initials (cbb), since I've posted the instructions there
recently.

Best wishes,

cbb