Re: thanks

I've got 2 sparcs at home, an IPX I got from ebay and a sparc Classic that a guy gave me for setting up a DNS server and a web server for his company. The Classic is pretty decent system, even as a simple desktop. It came with SunOS 4.1 and openwindows, but I've debianized it. The IPX is really slow. It works good as a small fileserver, it can really push bits onto the network, it actually does that slightly better than my "modern" i386 systems (IDE drives ata-33). But it has no processor to spare at all. If you tried a running a webserver with anyting but static pages it would choke. Running a shell via the network seems a bit chunky.

I'm going to take the IPX to work tomorow night and load 2.2 on it.

I've also have a UDB, and an HP 735, I just got it. I'm going to see if it will boot tonite or tomorrow.

From: James Waterhouse <james.waterhouse@mathengine.com>
To: greg kaslowski <debian_m68k@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: thanks
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 21:01:55 -0400

You've worked on sparc too? I've got a sparc 1+. I have not tried linux on an
alpha yet though. I think the next thing I'll try is an sgi though. I was
looking for an acorn this afternoon. It might be interesting to try an arm
powered machine.

James

greg kaslowski wrote:

> humm, looks like I've got a lot more reading to do on this than I assumed. > How much of the OS is on the drive, and how much in ROM? Will I need to get
> macOS media to repartition? This might be more interesting than the move
> from intel to sparc & alpha was(old sparcs and alphas that is, can't afford
> new ones).
>
> Looks like I'll be spending a lot of time at ebay, looking for various odds
> and ends.
>
> Gregg

James Waterhouse                  | Tel:  +1.(514)-287-1166
MathEngine Canada Inc.            | Fax:  +1.(514)-287-3360
465 McGill Street, First Floor    | http://www.mathengine.com
Montreal, Qc  H2Y 2H1 CANADA      | james.waterhouse@mathengine.com

Have you had some chicken cheese today?