Re: NEWS for debian-boot

Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > > I've the icon files Franky used for 2.0, and I don't see a need for others.
> >
> > Care must be taken that the executable flags are set on programs,
> > since copying from affs to ext2 will kill those (or at least did kill
> Who would copy the Amiga install icons to an ext2fs partition and WHY?

Me, for starters. When assembling the amigainstall.lzh. But I'm not copying
the stuff from AFFS, just unpacking the old archive.

> > them at one time). Also the path used in the scripts behind the icons
> > should be relative, so that copying them to a floppy or harddisk
> > (together with the kernel and loader) won't break them.
> Have you looked at the scripts? BTW the script is for installing Debian,
> not for starting it regularily, why copy it to a floppy?

Floppies are 'dead for Debian' (tm) at least Amiga-wise. Case closed.

> > There should be icons for people with gfx boards. It's not that much
> > work to copy the script and change the video parameter.

The point is that I'm working on the boot-floppies, thank you very much. I
have not seen an Amiga in ages, and have no background in AOS programming.
I'm not going to do anything beyond what Franky did (and what seems to have
worked fine for people, or so I guess from the fact that there are users
out here).

> > If theres only one icon, people with a gfx board will click on it and
> > wonder why nothing happens. The WB will just stay on screen and
> > freeze. Even a monitor conected to the Amiga video won't show
> > anything, because the custom chips won't be initialised.

That's where the install guide comes in :-)

> So you want one icon for every gfx board and every possible resolution? Or
> how can the scripts guess which resolution is currently used? I dont think
> we want some major AOS programming here ony to set up linux...
> Maybe we can put in a few icons, one for every graka, in a standard
> resolution (TBD 800x600-8? 1024x768-8?) and an extensive readme. Even the
> scripts can "talk"...

Maybe we should have a package '1001 favorite Linux start scripts' in
contrib?? What about keeping it simple?