Re: 475/476/605 Serial "Reboot"

Michael Schmitz <MSchmitz@lbl.gov> wrote

>Your computer starts getting a huge number of bytes and tries to dump
>them to disk while more are rushing in. Try listing some huge FTP directory
>see if that triggers the same reboot. If so, it's just the data rate that's
>getting too high to handle. Otherwise, it's probably a problem with data
>being received while writing to disk.

After playing around with this for awhile, I would say that I'm liable to
get rebooted at any moment during a PPP session, not just when there would
have been a furious rush of data. On one occasion I managed to get a 14000
byte
file.

>Try reducing the serial rate to 19200 baud. I've tried data rates of 38400
>on
>a slower Mac (SE/30) with no ill effects

Didn't help on my 476.

BTW, when I tried poking around with setserial, I got nowhere:

setserial -ga /dev/ttyS0

produced

/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART:undefined, Port: 0x0000, IRQ 0
	Baud_base:0, close_delay:50, divisor: 0
	closing_wait: 3000, closing_wait2: infinte
	Flags: spd_normal  auto_irq

--Bill