Re: [Debconf-video] Delivering DebConf videos

On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 22:44 -0300, Tiago Bortoletto Vaz wrote:
[...]
> The current MC instance is running at http://tiagovaz.org:8000/ with all
> DebConf videos from DC5 to DC10 already imported.
[...]

Here are the details for DebConf 11 files, hopefully following the same
format as before.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
I say we take off; nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

Some of the topic that will be covered are: what makes Debian so special and why it's important—for the whole ecosystem of Free Software—that our Project lives long and prosper; what are the advantages and disadvantages of some of Debian peculiarities when compared to some of the other ""major"" distros out there; what could we do to fulfill our role in the Free Software ecosystem and to smooth some of our rough edges.",2011-07-25,lecture,DebConf11
Video training session 2,,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/826_Video_training_session_2.ogv,,,,2011-07-24,,DebConf11
Welcome talk,Moray Allan; Holger Levsen; Adnan Hodzic; Velimir Iveljic; Daniel Kahn Gillmor; Gunnar Wolf; Vedran Omeragic; Andrew McMillan; Bojana Borković; Joerg Jaspert; Zlatan Todoric,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/732_Welcome_talk.ogv,DebConf11 introductory session,en,This session will welcome people to DebConf11 and tell them what will be happening later in the conference. ,2011-07-25,lecture,DebConf11
Debian as though cryptographic authentication mattered,Daniel Kahn Gillmor,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/775_Debian_as_though_cryptographic_authentication_mattered.ogv,How the Universal Operating System can lead the pack,en,"This talk will cover cryptographic authentication within debian, how we can better streamline the situation for our users, minimize code, increase freedom, and help rein in the ""too big to fail"" members of the Certificate Authority cartel which dominates the standard cryptographic authentication model for TLS and S/MIME.

I'll talk about:

 * cryptographic authentication agents (both per-user and per-system)

 * the various forms of cryptographic certification we already support in debian

 * minimizing and streamlining code that handles this sensitive task

 * making user choice easier, more understandable, and more effective across the distro

 * collaboration with other distros and other operating systems",2011-07-25,lecture,DebConf11
"You, the FTP Team and the NEW queue",Joerg Jaspert; Mark Hymers; Alexander Reichle-Schmehl,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/726_You_the_FTP_Team_and_the_NEW_queue.ogv,,en,"Abstract: The FTP Team takes care of Debian's archive in various ways:  By maintaining and developing the software powering the archive, by ensuring packages in the archive  are compliant with the Debian Free Software Guidelines and are legally distributable by Debian, and many ways more.
This talk gives a brief overview over the FTP Teams jobs, and shows what you can do to help us, be it with coding work or just by ensuring your packages in NEW can be easily checked (and accepted).",2011-07-25,lecture,DebConf11
Debian-Women - The Past and the Present,Meike Reichle,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/722_Debian-Women_-_The_Past_and_the_Present.ogv,,en,"This year's DebConf features the 7th birthday of the Debian-Women project. Since 2004 a lot of things have happened in Debian-Women and the Debian project itself, so this seems like a good time to review the development of the project so far and take stock of its current state as well as the current state of women in Free Software. This talk goes together with a Debian-Women BoF that will focus on Debian-Women's future.",2011-07-25,lecture,DebConf11
Meet the Technical Committee,Bdale Garbee,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/702_Meet_the_Technical_Committee.ogv,,en,"An opportunity to meet the Debian Technical Committee members attending Debconf in person, ask questions, and seek advice.",2011-07-25,bof,DebConf11
Ruby in Debian,Lucas Nussbaum,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/763_Ruby_in_Debian.ogv,,en,"We will discuss the various changes planned or in progress for Ruby packaging in Debian, including:
- the possible switch to 1.9 as default
- the switch to the gem2deb packaging helper
There's a wiki page listing all the work planned for wheezy: http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/RubyInWheezy",2011-07-25,bof,DebConf11
Quality Assurance BOF,Lucas Nussbaum,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/762_Quality_Assurance_BOF.ogv,,en,"In this BOF, we plan to discuss various QA-related topics, such as:
- QA processes: MIA, orphaned packages, NMUs
- QA infrastructure: PTS, DDPO, UDD, ...
- QA tools: lintian, piuparts
- archive-wide tests: piuparts, archive rebuilds, ...",2011-07-25,bof,DebConf11
Lintian BoF,Niels Thykier,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/760_Lintian_BoF.ogv,,en,"Discussion of the current status of Lintian, the current Lintian architecture, desired future architectural and testing changes, and how you can help.
",2011-07-25,bof,DebConf11
"pleasure & pain: packages, policy and piuparts",Holger Levsen,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/743_pleasure_pain_packages_policy_and_piuparts.ogv,,en,Workshop to a.) discuss bugs detected by piuparts and b.) to hack on piuparts,2011-07-25,workshop,DebConf11
Understanding Debian,Bdale Garbee,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/804_Understanding_Debian.ogv,,en,,2011-07-24,lecture,DebConf11
How to contribute and get involved,Alexander Reichle-Schmehl; Meike Reichle,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/805_How_to_contribute_and_get_involved.ogv,,en,"Contributing to Debian is often seen as a deeply technical process which needs a lot of knowledge, experience and technical skills.  This often seems to discourage interested people, while in truth there are a lot of ways to contribute to Debian with little or even none technical knowledge. We'll show many ways to contribute to Debian and how everyone - yes, we really mean everyone - can contribute to Debian.",2011-07-24,lecture,DebConf11
DSA,Stephen Gran; Martin Zobel-Helas; Peter Palfrader,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/701_Debian_System_Administrators_BoF.ogv,where do we want to go today,en,"DSA status update and BoF

[ Moved from ""submission notes""   -GW ]",2011-07-26,bof,DebConf11
Talk from the Website Team,Gerfried Fuchs,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/785_The_Website_Team.ogv,FAQs and the future,en,Talk from the Website Team,2011-07-26,lecture,DebConf11
Bits from the Release Team,Neil McGovern,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/708_Bits_from_the_Release_Team.ogv,,en,This will be a talk presenting views on what happened during the last release cycle and outlining plans for the next release.,2011-07-26,lecture,DebConf11
Debian Rolling Bof,Raphaël Hertzog,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/759_Debian_Rolling_Bof.ogv,,en,Debian Rolling is about providing a testing-like distribution for end-users that is constantly updated with the latest stable software.,2011-07-26,bof,DebConf11
Tracking website users,Martin Zobel-Helas,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/784_Tracking_website_users.ogv,social and technical limitations,en,"Debian's website and wiki produces megabytes of logs per day, but noone actually looks on them. Also i often hear the website content sometimes is hard to find.

* Could we use tracking information to restructure our websites to make content better findable?
* I wonder how far we could go with tracking users, without collecting to much personal information about our users.
* Is annonymizing the logs and using that for tools like piwik, awstats, webalizer enough?",2011-07-26,bof,DebConf11
Publicity BoF,Alexander Reichle-Schmehl,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/725_Publicity_BoF.ogv,,en,This is a meeting of Debian Publicity team interested people who are not yet active in our team are of course welcome to join us: Let's improve Debian by telling others how great Debian actually is!,2011-07-26,bof,DebConf11
Multiarch in Debian: 6 months (or 6 years) on,Steve Langasek,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/747_Multiarch_in_Debian_6_months_or_6_years_on.ogv,,en,"By the time of DebConf, we will have six months of experience with the deployment of Multiarch in Ubuntu, and about three months in Debian itself.  Take a look back at some of the lessons learned, inform developers how they can get more involved in multiarch rollout and what it means for their packages, and discuss the next steps to be taken as a project.",2011-07-26,lecture,DebConf11
Test Driven Development in Debian BoF,Stefano Zacchiroli; Tom Marble;  ,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/764_Test_Driven_Development_in_Debian_BoF.ogv,autopkgtest and the status of DEP-8,en,"DEP-8 is a DEP (Debian Enhancement Proposal) attempting to standardize, clean up, and put in production the ""autopkgtest"" framework developer by Ian Jackson. Using autopkgtest maintainers can enrich their packages which ""as installed"" tests, that is tests that will be run in an environment in which the package has been installed, providing a more powerful and more near to the user testing framework to ensure a package is working properly.

In this BoF we will briefly present the state of DEP-8 and of the underlying framework. Then we will discuss among participants the details of the specification and what can/should be improved before recommending it for widespread archive usage.

If you are interested in Debian Quality Assurance, Test Driven Development and how to apply it in Debian, this BoF is for you! ... but beware, volunteer recruiting will be *the* underline tune of this BoF!",2011-07-26,bof,DebConf11
Debian Events BoF,Luca Capello,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/731_Debian_Events_BoF.ogv,How to restructure the Events team,en,"The Debian Events team needs to be restructured or, better, its pages (both on www.d.o and wiki.d.o) need a bit more love and must be updated to current practices.  The idea is to discuss what we need and then implement ideas, if not already done during DebCamp.  Two (Francesca and myself) out of the three people in the team will be at DebCamp/DebConf, as well as other people from the Publicity team, which shares some of our resources.",2011-07-26,bof,DebConf11
Debian Packaging with Git,David Bremner,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/728_Debian_Packaging_with_Git.ogv,what tool and workflow is right for you?,,"There are at least 3 different tools (git-buildpackage, git-dpm, and gitpkg) in Debian designed to make generating Debian packages.  In this tutorial I'll try to give a not too biased view of the strengths and weaknesses of these three options, and go through setting up a packaging repository including accessing upstream git and svn, using pristine-tar to keep tarballs in git, and various options for managing patches.",2011-07-26,tutorial,DebConf11
backports improvements,Gerfried Fuchs,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/793_backports_improvements.ogv,get it more official than now,en,backports is now an official supported service. It though is not fully integrated yet. There are several services that should still offer better support.,2011-07-26,bof,DebConf11
Debian Wiki BoF,Paul Wise,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/788_Debian_Wiki_BoF.ogv,,en,"Come to discuss the Debian wiki and its status, get involved in fixing currently open issues and give us feedback.",2011-07-26,bof,DebConf11
Derivatives Roundtable,Andreas Tille,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/716_Derivatives_Roundtable.ogv,The traditional roundtable to seek for synergies between Debian and its derivatives,en,This roundtable should tie up to the good tradition of previous DebConfs to bring together different representatives of Debian and derived distros.  People who are interested in manning the podium are explicitely invited to contact me.,2011-07-28,podium,DebConf11
Debian-Women BoF,Meike Reichle,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/723_Debian-Women_BoF.ogv,Where to go from here,en,This BoF invites everyone interested in the Debian-Women project to join in on the discussion on how to revive and carry on the project. We want to collect ideas on what to do and also come up with a tangible plan of things to do for the coming months. This BoF is the continuation of my talk on the past and present of the Debian-Women project. ,2011-07-28,bof,DebConf11
Debian dErivatives eXchange (DEX) BoF,Stefano Zacchiroli,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/761_Debian_dErivatives_eXchange_DEX_BoF.ogv,... and other initiatives to improve the collaboration with derivative distributions,,"Various initiatives have been recently started to improve the collaboration among Debian and its derivatives. Some examples are the ""Derivatives Front Desk"" (a discussion place for representatives of Debian and derivatives), the Debian dErivatives eXchange program (a program to coordinated focused cross-distro collaboration initiatives to merge related derivatives patches into Debian proper), and the derivatives census.

This BoF will first present a retrospective of the above initiatives and attempt a brief review of how they went.

Then, the BoF will move to an open discussion among participants about how (and if) to continue the above initiatives, gathering new participants into them, as well as brainstorming about new initiatives that we can devise to improve both Debian and all its derivatives.

Participants from Debian are welcome; participants from derivatives are very welcome!",2011-07-28,bof,DebConf11
use Perl;,gregor herrmann,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/697_use_Perl.ogv,Annual meeting of the Debian Perl Group,en,"The pkg-perl team will again take the opportunity to meet in person for
discussing current topics and planning future work.

Items for discussion and work are collected at
http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianPerlGroup/OpenTasks",2011-07-28,bof,DebConf11
Packaging for beginners,Gergely Nagy,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/836_Packaging_for_beginners.ogv,,en,,2011-07-28,workshop,DebConf11
Blending Debian,Andreas Tille,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/711_Blending_Debian.ogv,Debian Pure Blends as a way to structurise the project,en,"Besides the technical aspect which was invented for Debian Pure Blends the idea has a strong focus on how Debian could be perceived by users.  If users can be really sure that there is a team in Debian which specifically cares for their very own needs Debian becomes an advantage over other distributions which do not have such dedicated teams.
In contrast to the technical aspects presented in last years this talk is rather targeting at making people aware of the less technical points like how to form a team which is visible in and outside Debian, ensuring that the target users outside really know, that Debian is actually working dedicated for their interests and how to involve upstream authors into the Blend and thus coming closer to Debian.",2011-07-28,lecture,DebConf11
Debian-Women BoF,Meike Reichle,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/723_Debian-Women_BoF.ogv,Where to go from here,en,This BoF invites everyone interested in the Debian-Women project to join in on the discussion on how to revive and carry on the project. We want to collect ideas on what to do and also come up with a tangible plan of things to do for the coming months. This BoF is the continuation of my talk on the past and present of the Debian-Women project. ,2011-07-28,bof,DebConf11
Debian-Edu: Current Status and Development Ideas for the next Decade.,Andreas B. Mundt,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/779_Debian-Edu_Current_Status_and_Development_Ideas_for_the_next_Decade.ogv,"A Debian system for schools, university workgroups and small enterprises?",en,"The Debian-Edu system provides an integrated system with central user management, Kerberos authentication, Thin- and Diskless-Clients, Intranet and much more. All this works out of the box. It is provided with loads of educational packages to serve a school's needs.

Except from a different package selection, the 'system'-part of Debian-Edu could be used in different environments: University research groups and small enterprises come to mind immediately. However, to serve the general case, Debian-Edu needs to be more modularized: Into a common part (networking/user management etc.) and the tuning for the final deployment.

After a short presentation of the current status of the Debian-Edu system, I would like to discuss the idea of a modularized Debian-Networking system as a 'generalized' Debian-Edu system. Is there interest in such a system and the synergies within a broader user- and developer-base? Is it possible? How do we start?",2011-07-28,bof,DebConf11
App recommender in Debian,Tássia Camões Araújo,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/773_App_recommender_in_Debian.ogv,,en,"Apt-xapian-index, Popcon and UDD are powerful tools that can be used together for composing package recommendations, as it is currently being developed in AppRecommender [1] [2]. The main goal os this work is to help users find useful packages based on their previous choices and similar users' choices. The recommender output allow composing suggestions like: ""If you like this package you may also like that one"" or ""Users who have package X installed also have Y in their systems"".

This BoF aims to open the disccussion about strategies and heuristics adopted by AppRecommender, compare it to previous initiatives (Alain Schröeder and Enrico Zini have already worked on this problem), talk about challenges of providing such a service for Debian users and how could it be adapted to a cross-distribution approach.

[1] http://www.ime.usp.br/~tassia/apprec.html
[2] http://github.com/tassia/AppRecommender",2011-07-28,bof,DebConf11
Sprint (and money) BoF,Stefano Zacchiroli,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/766_Sprint_and_money_BoF.ogv,"CONGRATULATION YOU HAVE WON GBP£820,000.00",en,"The sprint program has gathered some steam this year: at the time of writing, Debian has had 12 sprints in 12 months and a few more are forthcoming.
In this BoF we will first present some introductory topics about sprints: figures (typical cadence, cost, number of participants), refresh your memory about how you and your team can easily have their sprint, and discuss what has worked well and what has not in sprint organization up to now. Later on, we will open up the discussion about how we can improve sprint organization so that we can put more efficiently into use Debian money to organize development sprints. We will let the discussion wander happily to touch the recurrent topics of how to use Debian money, how much keep around to ""stay safe"", etc.",2011-07-28,bof,DebConf11
Haskell in Debian,Joachim Breitner,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/791_Haskell_in_Debian.ogv,The how and why of packaging Haskell libraries,en,"The functional programming language Haskell is more and more failing to “avoid success at all costs”. Naturally, Debian wants to provide its users a good and thorough Haskell experience. This talk gives an overview of the Haskell ecosystems, the technical implication of static linking and cross-module inlining and how we use virtual package to guarantee a usable installations. The target audience are users (or prospective users) of Haskell on Debian, developers and package maintainers of programs built with Haskell and of course developers who want to join the Debian Haskell Group.",2011-07-28,lecture,DebConf11
Debian Science Roundtable, ; Sylvestre Ledru; Andreas Tille,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/710_Debian_Science_Roundtable.ogv,Bringing together scientists@DebConf,en,"This is just to continue the tradition of DebConfs to bring together all those people who are interesting to use Debian in scientific research.  It will be used to find synergies, develop common policy and tools and perhaps gather new people for the Debian Science Team",2011-07-28,bof,DebConf11
The Linux kernel in Debian,Ben Hutchings,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/739_The_Linux_kernel_in_Debian.ogv,,,"An introduction to the Debian kernel team and its work. Explains the packages we maintain, the workflow for the Linux kernel itself (linux-2.6 package), and interactions with other packages.
",2011-07-28,lecture,DebConf11
Build your own modern app installer,Enrico Zini,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/750_Build_your_own_modern_app_installer.ogv,"apt-xapian-index, screenshots.debian.net, distromatch, DDE and some more engine parts for high level app installers",en,"Over the years, people have built several components, akin to engine parts, that can be used to build outstanding high level app installers and other distribution interfaces. Very few people however realise how easy it is, now, to put those parts together into some outstanding new killer application.

As an engine builder I am not the appropriate person to design the car interiors; but I want to let everyone know what working parts are already available, because I want to see people building new, cool, radical, innovative cars.",2011-07-28,lecture,DebConf11
Care-taking of Debian finances: assets and processes,Martin Michlmayr; Martin Wuertele,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/769_Care-taking_of_Debian_finances_assets_and_processes.ogv,,en,"Debian, as a volunteer project, relies on donations and in-kind gifts (e.g.
hardware) to maintain its infrastructure and to support various development
efforts, such as funding sprints and other developer gatherings.  Debian's
money and other assets are held by Software in the Public Interest (SPI) in
the US, Verein zur Förderung Freier Informationen und Software e.V. (ffis)
in Germany and additional entities in other countries.  This talk will shed
light on these organizational aspects of Debian, which have previously not
been discussed much.

Specifically, the talk will:
 - Discuss the relationship between Debian and organizations that
   hold assets on behalf of Debian.
 - List the types of assets held by Debian (such as money, hardware,
   trademarks, and domain names)
 - Present the approval process employed by the DPL when it comes
   to using Debian's assets.
 - Discuss recent efforts to publish public statements about the
   assets held by Debian as well as inflows (donations, etc) and
   outflows (sprints, DebConf, etc).
",2011-07-28,lecture,DebConf11
Google Summer of Code 2011 and Code-in 2010 at Debian,Ana Beatriz Guerrero López; Obey Arthur Liu; Sylvestre Ledru,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/698_Google_Summer_of_Code_2011_and_Code-in_2010_at_Debian.ogv,"Meet the students, mentors and admins",en,"This event will gather the admins, mentors and students of the 2011 Google Summer of Code and 2010 Google Code-in at Debian to present our organization work, the students, their projects and how they are doing.",2011-07-29,podium,DebConf11
the DPL wannabe (and HOWTO) BoF,Stefano Zacchiroli,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/767_the_DPL_wannabe_and_HOWTO_BoF.ogv,how can we improve DPL-related processes in Debian?,en,"A poor DPL newbie---like yours truly in April 2010---has to go through quite some bumps before being able to be actually useful to the Debian project.
What the ""DPL job"" is about has little documentation and is most likely very personal too.

In this BoF I'd like to share and review my experiences as DPL, explaining what the ""DPL job"" is about to wannabe DPLs or simply to the curious Developer willing to know more about it. I'll describe what a typical ""DPL day"" looks like and some of my personal strategies to deal with ""leader@d.o"" mail and keep track of what happens in DPL land, to inform the Project at the next ""bits from the DPL"" mail pulse.

We'll then let the discussion go, asking for comments on how the strategies have worked on and for suggestions on how to improve them further.
Can we come up with a set of ""best practices"" that, in the interest of the Project, will be suggested for adoption to future DPLs? In my experience, that could be a little, but very valuable treasure for future DPLs!

... needlessly to say, participation of other past DPLs, or DPL helpers willing to share their experiences would be more than welcome!",2011-07-29,bof,DebConf11
Delivering Multi-Platform Applications,Bdale Garbee,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/705_Delivering_Multi-Platform_Applications.ogv,"Build on Debian, run anywhere.",en,"Bdale Garbee and Keith Packard ship open hardware and open source avionics solutions for hobby model rockets.  A key feature of these products is that the ground station software works identically across Linux, Windows, and MacOS clients.  All software build and release processing is run on Debian.  This talk will explain the approach taken to achieve these results, and the build system components used.

",2011-07-29,lecture,DebConf11
NM/AM/FD/DAM BOF,Enrico Zini,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/751_NM_AM_FD_DAM_BOF.ogv,Reality check of the New Maintainer Process,en,"Tentative current draft BOF todo-list (subject to change)

 - new site
    - feature complete replacement of old site
    - template from http://kalleswork.net/projects/debian/git/debtemplate/ ?
 - minechangelogs redone by indexing changelogs (possibly in a dak hook?)
    - light version: put all changelogs in a single file
 - dm_list integrated with ftp-master
 - new FD blood. mmh, blood.
 - state of things
 - do we need separate templates for non-uploading DDs?
 - find a place/workflow for publishing some interesting/useful replies to NM questions, with permission",2011-07-29,bof,DebConf11
buildd/wanna-build update,Andi Barth,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/717_buildd_wanna-build_update.ogv,,en,"news from buildd/wanna-build side from the last year (wanna-build priority changes, autosigning, ...)",2011-07-29,lecture,DebConf11
Measuring Team Performance,Andreas Tille; Sukhbir Singh,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/712_Measuring_Team_Performance.ogv,Investigation into performance of teams inside Debian ,en,"In this BoF I would like to give a report of the current state of the according GSoC project ""Measuring Team Performance in Debian Pure Blends"" (but it is not restricted to Blends only).  It should not be expected real results.  These will be presented at next years DebConf hopefully.  The intend of this event is just to collect some additional ideas which might have been overlooked by me as mentor or the student.",2011-07-29,bof,DebConf11
ARM BoF,Steve McIntyre,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/795_ARM_BoF.ogv,"Porting, news and discussions",en,"The Debian ARM port(s) are rapidly becoming more and more important, with lots of active development and more and more users. Let's see how things are going and where we are hoping to get to.",2011-07-29,bof,DebConf11
Reports from changing the debian-mentors culture,Asheesh Laroia,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/777_Changing_the_debian-mentors_culture.ogv,"You win some, you lose some",en,"The debian-mentors list is most of what new contributors see in Debian; it is where they send ""Request For Sponsorship"" emails and get help with package questions. This talk discusses the culture of that mailing list, and the past year's successes and failures in improving package review and decreasing unanswered threads. It also includes suggestions based on review processes used by other projects.",2011-07-29,lecture,DebConf11
Debian for Shy People,Asheesh Laroia,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/778_Debian_for_shy_people.ogv,Human factors to make us more productive,,"Contributors to Debian are sometimes stymied by a failure to ask questions. (I know I've been there.) In this Birds of a Feather session, we'll discuss our experiences with hostile or otherwise unhelpful situations that make us less excited about working on Debian. I will also name some positive characteristics I have seen on Debian mailing lists. After discussing problems, we will discuss concrete actions we can take individually to improve the culture.",2011-07-29,bof,DebConf11
Freedombox Progress Report,Bdale Garbee,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/704_FreedomBox_progress_report.ogv,Using Debian to Create and Preserve Freedom,en,"The Freedombox Foundation is a non-profit organization started by Eben Moglen with the objective of building a Debian-based software image that will help create and preserve freedom by enabling broad adoption of federated, distributed alternatives to the current wave of commercial social networking sites.

In addition to his roles in Debian and SPI, Bdale is a member of the Freedombox Foundation board of directors, and chairs the technical advisory committee.

This session will provide an update on the Foundation's activities, particularly as they relate to Debian.",2011-07-29,lecture,DebConf11
Debian: coding for human rights? ,Astrid Maria Valencia; Rafael Ernesto Rivas Méndez,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/770_Debian_coding_for_human_rights.ogv,,en,,2011-07-29,meeting,DebConf11
Debian: coding for human rights? ,Astrid Maria Valencia; Rafael Ernesto Rivas Méndez,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/770_Debian_coding_for_human_rights.ogv,,en,,2011-07-29,meeting,DebConf11
Bootstrapable Debian,Wookey,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/745_Bootstrapable_Debian.ogv,"Cyclic dependencies, staged builds and cross-compiling",en,"Debian is extremely difficult to bootstrap for a new architecture or a new ABI, and every time someone does the work it's incredibly painful. We have a lot of cyclic build-dependencies which means there is no valid build-order, and many packages don't cross-build properly, where at least some of the packages must be cross-built for a new port. We also don't have tools to manage such bootstrap-builds. In practice people tend to use some other system to get started, then try to turn it into Debian. We really ought to be able to bootstrap ourselves.

This talks explains the issues (with pretty graphs!), shows how to fix them, which packages and tools are affected, and covers the current state of this work. It also explains why people want/need this functionality, and what affected package maintainers need to do to keep things bootstrappable. Making all this work makes Debian useful in various places where currently it isn;t very useful, which is why engineering effort is available from various companies. Lets take the opportunity to fix it properly.
",2011-07-29,lecture,DebConf11
Issues with Deployment in Large Environments,Gerfried Fuchs,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/714_Issues_with_large-scale_deployments.ogv,Upgrading 11.000 Boxes in One Night,en,"When deploying Debian in large environments, certain limiting factors start to need special attention. These include but are not limited to bandwidth sharing, unattended upgrades, reliability, traceability, error handling and reporting back. This talk aims to make these issues visible, discuss possible solutions and how things could get improved.",2011-07-29,lecture,DebConf11
Mass deployment BOF,,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/771_Mass_deployment_BOF.ogv,,en,"A discussion about what is needed for better mass deployment of Debian.
What are the general topics when doing mass installation?
What are current problems when doing mass deployment?
Which tools are used? Are deb packages available?
Which problems arise when scaling to huge numbers of machines?
Exchange of experiences with mass deployment.",2011-07-29,bof,DebConf11
Fonts packaging BOF,,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/740_Fonts_packaging_BOF.ogv,,en,"This talk is meant to be a (maybe quite scarce) summary update about activities by the fonts packaging team. Fonts packaging is usually a quite ""easy"" packaging task, very suitable for beginners who want to learn about packaging processes without  difficult packaging techniques. This talk is meant to give  an update about the font packaging team activities, status about the yet-tp-be-published font packaging policy, etc.",2011-07-30,meeting,DebConf11
Fonts packaging BOF,,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/740_Fonts_packaging_BOF.ogv,,en,"This talk is meant to be a (maybe quite scarce) summary update about activities by the fonts packaging team. Fonts packaging is usually a quite ""easy"" packaging task, very suitable for beginners who want to learn about packaging processes without  difficult packaging techniques. This talk is meant to give  an update about the font packaging team activities, status about the yet-tp-be-published font packaging policy, etc.",2011-07-30,meeting,DebConf11
SPI BOF,Bdale Garbee,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/703_SPI_BOF.ogv,,en,Software in the Public Interest is a US-based non-profit organization that provides legal and financial existence services for Debian and many other Free Software projects.,2011-07-30,bof,DebConf11
Ask the Leader,Neil McGovern,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/707_Ask_the_Leader.ogv,Q&A session with the DPL,en,A'town hall'  style question and answer session for the DPL. He won't have sight of the questions beforehand!,2011-07-30,podium,DebConf11
Debian Med BoF,Andreas Tille,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/709_Debian_Med_BoF.ogv,Report from the past of Debian Med and discussing the future,en,"Debian Med was started in 2002 and in January 2012 will be its 10th aniversary.  What did we approached so far.  What do we want to approach in the next ten years?

Medicine is a real niche topic in the Free Software world because the number of user is small and quite a share of those users is conservative about the use of software and has some money left to spend for proprietary licenses.  So isn't it crazy to just address this target user group with a dedicated part of Debian?  Yes it is, but we used as a start this part where Free Software has several friends: In bio-medical research.  So the project began to grow healthy and is now might serve as a positive example for other Blends:  If it is possible to successfully establish a Blend in a niche area how much better success could be gained in other fields which are much better covered by Free Software?",2011-07-30,bof,DebConf11
DebConf12 Nicaragua,Marcelo Martin Gutierrez Cabezas,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/719_DebConf12_Nicaragua.ogv,,en,Introducing DebConf12 Nicaragua,2011-07-30,lecture,DebConf11
Could we make desktop users need their local Debian geeks less?,Jérémy Bobbio,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/756_Could_we_make_desktop_users_need_their_local_Debian_geeks_less.ogv,,en,"Debian is relevant for desktop users, but there is still many itches that require a local Debian geeks. Let's make a list, and see where and how we could improve the situation.",2011-07-30,bof,DebConf11
Distributed Naming BoF,Daniel Kahn Gillmor,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/776_Distributed_Naming_BoF.ogv,,,"Centralized naming schemes seem to be a critical weak point in global network communication.

Powerful actors can strongarm the existing Domain Name System (or proprietary/centralized services like facebook, twitter, and github) and effectively remove a group from the publicly-visible 'net without even touching any of the associated machinery.

There are some promising new tools that allow for massively decentralized, distributed naming, and many of them are being made available within Debian.  This BoF is for implementors, packagers, integrators, critics, and the generally curious to talk about how to make these concepts work across all of debian.

Come share problems, brainstorm fixes, collaborate, and learn!",2011-07-30,bof,DebConf11
Jigsaw Progress in Debian,Tom Marble; Sylvestre Ledru; Guillaume Mazoyer,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/718_Jigsaw_Progress_in_Debian.ogv,What We Did for GSoC and Our Summer Vacation,en,Find out the latest developments on the modularization of Java as we fit project Jigsaw to Debian Policy,2011-07-30,lecture,DebConf11
Debian Games BoF,Evgeni Golov,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/741_Debian_Games_BoF.ogv,,en,,2011-07-30,bof,DebConf11
DebConf in Debian BoF,Stefano Zacchiroli; Moray Allan; Gunnar Wolf; Holger Levsen,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/758_DebConf_in_Debian_BoF.ogv,"""vs""; is no more",en,"At DebConf10 a ""DebConf vs Debian"" BoF has been held to discuss the state of the relationships among DebConf organization and the Debian Project proper. Back then, several organization aspects were independent and it was not clear which kind of responsibility DebConf had before Debian and vice versa.

During the past year, several advancements have been made: formal ties among DebConf and Debian have been established by the mean of delegations, a work-flow for DebConf money handling has been established, goals of DebConf with respect to Debian have been published, etc. In this BoF we will present the status quo of all this, 1 year after the ""DebConf vs Debian"" BoF.

After that (brief!) presentation we will open up to discussion among Debian and DebConf team representatives to review what has been done and brainstorm about what still needs to be done.",2011-07-30,bof,DebConf11
The Debian sponsoring process,David Bremner,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/781_The_Debian_sponsoring_process.ogv,,,"Debian depends on a large group of package maintainers without upload rights (or with limited upload rights) and a smaller group of Debian Developers that check their work and upload it to Debian.  In this BOF we'd like to discuss technical and social ways that this process could be improved. Potential topics include the new debexpo site, whether having some formal process or team to sponsor would help, how we can make sure that reasonable packages get reviewed, whether we should explicitly ""reject"" requests for package sponsorship, how to encourage more DDs to become involved, and how to channel more new contributors into maintaining existing packages.   ",2011-07-30,bof,DebConf11
DebConf13 in your city,Moray Allan; Holger Levsen,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/734_DebConf13_in_your_city.ogv,,,"Every year, the location for DebConf, the annual international Debian conference, is selected via a competitive bid process. Although we haven't got to DebConf12 yet, organising a conference isn't quick, so it's already time to start thinking about a location for DebConf13.

We encourage everyone to think about whether their city would make a good DebConf location, and, if it would, to start working on a proposal. (You don't have to be heavily involved in Debian to organise a bid.)

Interested? For more information see http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13

This panel will be your opportunity to describe your bid to the rest of the DebConf attendees. Although participating in the panel is not compulsory to take part on the bid decision process, it will help strongly show off the pros and cons of each possible venue.
",2011-07-30,podium,DebConf11
Lightning Talks,Daniel Kahn Gillmor,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/783_Lightning_Talks.ogv,,,Lightning talks are a series of tightly-timed 5-minute talks.  We'll schedule 7 or 8 of them for the 45-minute period.  Keep it short and engaging.  People can come find you afterward to follow up.,2011-07-30,,DebConf11
DebConf Travel Sponsorship,Philip Hands,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/797_DebConf_Travel_Sponsorship.ogv,How it works and can we do better,en,"Every year, there are many criticisms about the DebConf travel sponsorship process. However, allocating this amount fairly is quite a hard problem. There are also many considerations, such as budgeting uncertainties, getting people motivated to do the rating and allocation early, and deciding what criteria to even use in allocations.

This BOF is designed to lead to an improvement for DebConf12, but that improvement will not come from talking now, but by acting early next year.

For BOF planning, please see outline and contribute at http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf11/TravelSponsorshipBOF
",2011-07-30,bof,DebConf11
Closing ceremony,Gunnar Wolf; Holger Levsen; Adnan Hodzic; Leandro Gómez Búdez; Norman Garcia Aguilar; Eduardo Manuel Rosales Diaz; Moray Allan,http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2011/debconf11/low/733_Closing_ceremony.ogv,goodbye and see you at DebConf12!,,"Close the conference, thank volunteers, ask for help cleaning up and feedback",2011-07-30,other,DebConf11