Re: [Debconf-team] Helping the budget get approved

Hi Martin,

Thanks a lot for all your work, and for dealing with the required amount
of bikeshedding (especially mine).

At this point, I think that the question I am (as DPL) being asked, is
whether we all can go forward given the current status and those
projections, and deal with the possible fallouts together (which means
that, if something fails very badly, we are fine with using Debian funds
to cover for it).

I think that the answer to that is "yes, we want to take this risk"
(which this year, isn't that huge). However, before I commit to that
answer, I still would like DebConf chairs to state whether they are fine
with the current budget, i.e., whether all income and expenses are
included and at a reasonable level according to their DebConf
experience.

Of course some of them will need to be refined (the video team budget is
still waiting for feedback from the team AFAIK), but as Martin outlined,
we have some space for that.

Regarding this:
On 21/03/15 at 09:50 +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> If this is not possible because you need to keep the option open to
> increase the bursaries budget to X,¹ then I suggest Debian commit to
> giving us X.

The DebConf budget already includes 30,000€ for travel sponsorship, and
the budget does not include any contribution from Debian funds at this
point. I agree that this is a reasonable level for DC15 (it should
probably be re-assessed for DC16, where the overall travel costs will
likely be higher -- let's not assume that 30k€ will work for every
edition of DebConf). I agree that if more funds are need for travel
sponsorship, Debian funds could be used.

I have one small request: during the discussions, it was very useful to
frame the current assumptions (travel sponsorship amount, % sponsored,
nb attendees, etc.) in an historical perspective. Could you add a tab in
the budget with the historical data you know about? I know it's also in
emails etc, but it will be handy in the future to have it somewhere easy
to find.  (pointers to emails in the archives could work too, but
debconf-team@ is not archived on lists.d.o)

Lucas