Re: [Debconf-team] RfC: current list of proposed topics/tracks

Hi Michael and other orga folks--

On Sun 2015-03-08 17:15:58 -0700, Michael Banck wrote:

> We will send out the CfP on Tuesday, so I thought I'd run the current
> list of proposed topics/tracks by this list to get any final feedback.
> Please note the list is already quite long right now, so if we add more
> than 1-2 tracks we should probably remove some as well.
>
> Anyway, here goes:
>
>  * Debian Packaging, Policy, and Infrastructure
>  * Security, Safety, and Hacking
>  * Debian System Administration, Automation, and Orchestration
>  * Containers and Cloud Computing with Debian
>  * Debian Success Stories
>  * Debian in the Social, Ethical, Legal, and Political Context
>  * Blends, Subprojects, Derivatives, and Projects using Debian
>  * Embedded Debian and Hardware-Level Systems
>
> Any comments on the titles, scope, usefulness etc.?

I've been talking with several upstreams of GnuPG and related projects
recently, several of whom are located in Germany.  There's some interest
in trying to get people together in debconf to think about GnuPG's
better integration in the overall ecosystem and how to improve the
situation; i don't know if this fits into the "security, safety, and
hacking" track, or if it might be a separate track, or just a collection
of linked events.

I recognize that a "GnuPG" track on its own might not be too
narrowly-focused for debconf, but given that debian represents one of
the larger systems that integrates GnuPG natively, we're in a good
position to help our upstreams think more clearly about integration,
compatibility, and interface issues, so i think an "OpenPGP ecosystem"
track would be useful.  (fwiw, i'd be happy of other upstreams besides
GnuPG who have an interest in broader integration used debian in this
way as well)

I'll try to get more concrete proposals about what these events might
be, and we'll probably submit them anyway, track or no track.  i just
wanted to give a heads-up to the orga team about the idea.  I'm happy to
hear any feedback about it.

Regards,

        --dkg