Re: [Debconf-discuss] US laptop ban and DebConf

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 06:36:12AM +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> Hi Steve

> On 21/03/2017 20:02, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 09:29:17AM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> > There has been no indication that this is in any way driven by the Trump
> > administration.

> http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/21/news/airline-electronics-ban-explainer/index.html?sr=fbCNN032117airline-electronics-ban-explainer0529PMStoryLink&linkId=35698638

> "The Trump administration has ordered nine airlines to stop passengers
> from bringing most types of electronic devices"

> You call that fake news then? :)

I call referring to this as "the Trump Administration" instead of as "the
Department of Homeland Security" or "the US government", without specific
evidence that this was a decision made by political appointees of Donald
Trump, misleading.

> > This rule has all the hallmarks of a DHS/TSA-driven rule responding to
> > information shared between the intelligence agencies of the US and its
> > allies.

> The DHS/TSA do not operate in a bubble.

> > The erosion of civil liberties with respect to air travel is
> > frustrating, but please don't conflate targeted - if opaque and
> > inexplicable - air safety measures, with political posturing and
> > immigration policy.

> They go hand in hand.

One of these is part of an ongoing pattern across three presidencies in the
United States; the other is specific to President Donald J. Trump.

To be imprecise about this is to let ourselves be blind to the reality of
what's going on and ineffective in how we respond to it.