Re: No supported write modes with LG GSA-H62N SATA DVD+RW

"Joe MacDonald" <joe.macdonald@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Please try to run cdrecord on a different OS (e.g. Solaris or Win32).
>

> I'm not at the affected machine right now, so it'll be a few more hours
> before I get a chance, but I'll give that a try.  I don't have a Solaris x86
> version, but since I'm already dual-booting into WinXP, trying a Win32
> cdrecord should be easy.

Thank you!

> Your mail does not include any hint to the problem but other similar
> > reports make it highly probable that this is caused by a bug in the Linux
> > kernel.
>

> I'll be happy to try whatever diagnostics you want me to try if we can find
> the source of the problem.  I just want to either get it working or be
> reasonably confident I know what the root cause is.  As you say here,
> there's not much to go on right now, but my feeling has been that it was
> something in the linux kernel as well.

You may already run on Linux (via "script")

cdrecord -checkdrive -V

and remove the last part that only contains calls to "read buffer".

The mode select calls show the right information for debugging.

> When I get a chance to try this with Windows, I'll follow up.  It'll be six
> hours or so at least before I get there.

If it also does not work on Windows, I would like to see a test on Solaris.

You may do this with without installing things by e.g. running a SchilliX CD

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/schillix/

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/schillix/SchilliX-0.5.2.iso.bz2

if a bit old but should be sufficient for you for a simple test.

The nice thing with Solaris is that you get more than 16 bytes of Sense data
which may include a byte/bit pointer for "illegal byte in CDB" messages.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)