Re: Plextor 712A cannot rewrite DVD-RW

Peter King wrote:

A quick follow-up:

[1] I can rewrite DVD+RW disks without any trouble.

[2] Yesterday I upgraded the Plextor firmware from 1.04 to the latest version, 1.05. But it still doesn't rewrite DVD-RW.

It will be nice when all these competing DVD types disappear except for the one that ends up being the "standard." My guess is that will be DVD-RW, which would be bad for you (unless you solve your mystery), but I'm no better at predicting the future than anyone else. I still prefer DVD-RAM, but it seems to be fading; my DVD-RAM drive will do DVD-R, but not RW. Hitting all these moving targets is going to be nearly impossible; although I've been somewhat surprised by how quickly cdwrite has managed to handle a pretty large subset of the DVD writing hardware.

Aaargghh!