Re: DVD+RW DL split command failure

I am trying to write a double layer DVD using the Lite-On SOHW-1633S on a FreeBSD 5.3 system but it failes when trying to send the layer-split command to the drive.

Original media information:

dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
Legacy lead-out at:    2011840*2KB=4120248320

The following comment is not related to the problem you experience. You can *not* expect that the above value can be used as layer break position *if* you've ripped .VOB files and remastered image with mkisofs. Depending on layout it may even result in truncated recording. You can use the above value *only* if you made *image* copy of the original media. Once again, it hardly has anything to do with the actual error you experience.

Empty DVD+R DL:

dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd

INQUIRY:                [LITE-ON ][DVDRW SOHW-1633S][BS0C]

There is newer firmware available for your unit which "matches more media"...

/dev/pass2: splitting layers at 2011840 blocks
:-[ SEND DVD+R DOUBLE LAYER RECORDING INFORMATION failed with SK=2h/ASC=30h/ACQ=05h]: Invalid argument

ASC=30h indicates a media-related problem. I would really recommend to upgrade the firmware... A.