Re: Testers for OpenBSD & NetBSD needed

Hi Joerg,

Joerg Schilling wrote on Fri, Aug 20 2004:

>>> Aug 19 18:39:45 thebetteros /bsd: cd0: transfer error, downgrading to
>>>                                   DMA mode 2

>Your problem is caused by a OpenBSD kernel bug. The kernel does not
>handle odd DMA counts for ATA correctly.

Are you sure it's a kernel-bug? (Please see below).

>If you install cdda2wav suid root and call it as non root user, does
>it work?

To my total astonishment: YES. After suid it also works as root!

-r-sr-xr-x  1 root  bin    261K Aug 19 18:18 /usr/local/bin/cdda2wav

>In order to avoid the Kernel bug from preventing you to do the test,
>check the number of tracks on the CD. It it was a CD with an even
>number of tracks, use one with an odd number of tracks or vice versa.

Did that a couple of times, but the number of tracks seems to be
irrelevant.  After suid'ing cdda2wav it works with each and every CD
now, as root and as fpage.

I'm totally confused about what might be going on here :-(

Thanks for the hints, now I got a working cdda2wav on OpenBSD ;-)

Kind regards   Frederick