Re: writing speed issue with dvd+rw-tools

> I'm trying to burn some data onto a DVD-R disk in an NEC-1300A drive.
> The media is off low quality (as is the drive!) and burning at 4 speed
> gives me coaster after coaster. But grwoisofs seems to ignore my
> attempts to burn at 1x or 2x speed.

Keep in mind that growisofs speed selection code works as following: ask
firmware for supported speeds for this media, take lowest for 1x,
multiply it by -speed factor and find the *closest* speed in the list
from the first step. Meaning that -speed=1 doesn't really mean set 1385,
but rather "pick the lowest speed." And so does -speed=0.5...

> Burning at 1-speed onto quality DVD-RW media works fine.

You mean -speed=1 works fine with brand-name DVD-RW, but not with
no-name DVD-R. I think you can rest the case directly here:-)

> Should I expect growisofs to ignore my speed override?

See above. Growisofs doesn't really try to override anything, but
consults firmware. And firmware has every chance in the world to trick
growisofs.

> I have tried "speed=1", "speed=1.0", "speed=", etc. Help!
> Well, help until my quality media arrives, anyway!
>
> Details follow:
>
> [jon@portnoy jon]$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/hdc
> INQUIRY:                 [_NEC    ][DVD_RW ND-1300A ][1.09]

At least initial NEC firmwares are very well-known for poor support [or
should I say "no support"] for no-name DVD-R media. Inability to control
recording velocity *might* be indication of poor media support.

> GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
>   Mounted Media:         11h, DVD-R Sequential
>   Media ID:              Yi Jhan 001
> GET [CURRENT] PERFORMANCE:
>   Write Performance:     3.9x1385=5408KB/s@[0 -> 0]
>   Speed Descriptor#0:    00/0 R@7.8x1385=10816KB/s W@3.9x1385=5408KB/s
>   Speed Descriptor#1:    00/0 R@7.8x1385=10816KB/s W@2.0x1385=2704KB/s
>
> [jon@portnoy jon]$ growisofs -speed=2.0 -Z /dev/hdc  -graft-points -R -r
> -l -J [files]
> /dev/hdc: "Current Write Speed" is 4.0x1385KBps.

This is odd. If growisofs had above descriptor list at this point, it
should have tried to set 2x... And if it have failed to change it to 2x,
it should have refused to start the recording... Odd... Relevant
question is what happens next. I would very much like that we just
dismiss this, as I don't think it's worth spending time on poorly
supported media. I find it hard to believe that you would have problems
finding media which works reliably with your unit... Cheers. A.