Re: [ PERFORM OPC failed with SK=6h/ASC=28h/ACQ=00h]: No mediumfound

> > > And finally, a bit far
> > > reached, but anyway:-) After growisofs fails, *without(!) reloading the
> > > media* execute 'dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/scd0 verbose | grep "READ DISC"'
> > > and examine *second* hexadecimal number. Value larger than 20, most
> > > likely 28, indicates that OPC procedure succeeded anyway, in which case
> > > you should be able to just re-run growisofs
>
> this is the output with DVD+RW:

What it says about DVD+RW is irrelevant in context of this particular
problem, OPC failure with DVD-R of some particular brand.

> and this is the output from DVD-R:
>
> dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/scd0 verbose | grep "READ DISC"
> :-[ READ TOC failed with SK=5h/ASC=24h/ACQ=00h]: Input/output error

The media is blank, there is no TOC yet, so this error is perfectly
expected... In case you wonder...

> READ DISC INFORMATION:  00 20 00 01 01 01 01 20 ff 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

When you just load a disc, the second value (which represents length of
the structure) is *always* 20. After OPC procedure finishes, the
structure becomes larger and the second value increases, most commonly
to 28. Re-load *same* media and it drops down to 20 again, indicating
that OPC data is discarded on re-load (as unit has no way knowing if
it's the very same disc). Suggested "experiment" was therefore to run
growisofs with DVD-R media in, let OPC time out, check if unit managed
to retain OPC data [despite the fact that command was aborted] by
examining the length of DISC INFORMATION structure and finally re-run
growisofs. All these without single media reload [as it obsoletes OPC
result]. Naturally it's no point to re-run growisofs second time, if OPC
data was not retained over timeout or OPC procedure failed in some other
way (e.g. as below). This is why I wrote "a bit far reached," as there
is no guarantee whatsoever that the procedure would actually work.

> and this is growisofs:
> growisofs -Z /dev/scd0=/film/dvd/GENUG_ENOUGH.iso
> Executing 'builtin_dd if=/film/dvd/GENUG_ENOUGH.iso of=/dev/scd0 obs=32k
> seek=0'
> :-[ PERFORM OPC failed with SK=3h/ASC=73h/ACQ=03h]: Input/output error
>
> and dmesg:
> sr0: CDROM (ioctl) error, command: UNKNOWN(0x54) 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00
> Current sr00:00: sense key Medium Error
> Additional sense indicates Power calibration area error

It means every word of it. OPC failures indicate that media is defective
(rather its Power calibration aread) *or* is poorly supported by unit
firmware (despite the fact that your firmware is fresh, 1.09). You
mentioned that it managed to burn this media under Windows, which most
likely indicates media defect on that particular disc. Well, burning is
a delicate process and it might happen that some portion of this batch
is bound to fail in your unit, because of some common manufacturing
fault. Do try another media brand! A.