Re: Pioneer DVR-106D issues

> >>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >>                                 Seems to be just another time where you like
> >>                                 to tell that you are not interested in
> >>                                 a cooperation, why?
>
> >What are you talking about? How on whole earth does the fact that I
> >challenge your opinion makes me uncooperative?
>
> Well, how do you rate a remark where somebody tells you that your
> writings are irrelevant?

As that somebody's natural right to freely express and defend their
opinion! If I feel that my statement is still relevant, I try to defend
it by re-enforcing my arguments with references and practical
experience, not by making personal remarks.

As for the practical part. I've received several problem reports from
NEC users who were forced to switch off DMA in order to make it work.
They *all* were capable of recording at at least 2.4x. Which is why I
say that 0.4x appears  too pathologic to blaim on DMA and his computer
should have performed over 2x. OK, you say that if one tries to record
at 2x, the resulting overall performance might be *higher* than if one
attempted 4x. Is it what you say? Care to elaborate on this? I
personally can't back it up from my experience, but I'm not saying that
it's impossible scenario. But then it makes sense to advise the
requestor to attempt to record at lower speed and see if resulting
actual recording speed increases.

Then there also were several reports that growisofs performs slower than
expected. Apart from DVD+ performance problem addressed in 5.11, rest of
reports turned to be some subtle scheduling issues, as they tend to just
disappear with kernel upgrade. This is another factor which makes me
believe that it's rather some other pathological kernel issue than a DMA
issue. A.