Re: Plextor PX-504A can't write 2nd session

> I have a DVD+RW drive on a USB to IDE device...

What does it mean exactly? "a USB to IDE device"?

> kernel: 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
> DVD+RW Drive: Plextor PX-504A
>
> Writing 1st session: there is no problem
> [...]$ growisofs -Z /dev/scd1 -R -J ./01
> /dev/scd1: reloading tray
> [...]$
>
> Smaller problem: if I try to mount the disk in the writer I get these
> messages:
> [...]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom1
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd1,
>         or too many mounted file systems

"Smaller problem?" I'd say it's the key to all your problems. At least
I'm convinced that the moment you resolve it, growisofs -M will just
start working at once.

> If I mount the disk in a DVD reader everything is OK and the files are
> readable.

Can you mount DVD-ROM media in your recorder unit?

> Querying the media:
> [...]$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/scd1
> INQUIRY:                [PLEXTOR ][DVDR   PX-504A  ][1.01]
> FABRICATED TOC:
> - [unable to READ TOC (FFFFFFFF)]
>
> The main problem: Trying to write the 2nd session:
> [...]$ growisofs -M /dev/scd1 -R -J ./02
> :-( /dev/scd1 doesn't look like isofs...

I bet it fails for the very same reason mount does. growisofs -M
attempts to access the "superblock" in the very same way mount does
(rather kernel upon mount request).

> (I wasn't surprised after I saw the output of dvd+rw=mediainfo...)

Well, the value of FFFFFFFF essentially means that there was a
communication problem between kernel and recording unit. At transport
level I'd say. I mean either READ TOC command has never reached the unit
or result returned by the unit was not transferred to computer memory.
Now if "a USB to IDE device" means some kind of enclosure for IDE units,
enclosure which you can then connect to an USB port, then you have this
extra participant at transport level. Such devices imply awareness of
command block structure and if they interpret commands and/or results
being passed in a manner different from how they're treated by unit,
then it might be signalled as transport error. So what is this mystery
"a USB to IDE device"? Does vendor specify that it should be working
with MMC units such as CD/DVD players and recorders? Also submit output
from 'dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/scd1 verbose'. A.