Re: dump on CD (Linux only)

jarausch@belgacom.net wrote:

I don't think so, because the Linux kernel doesn't support multi-session
and restore reads the raw device.

What? Linux has supported multisession since 2.3.4! Now as to what restore does, can't say. I want my backups in iso9660 format in most cases, so I use mkshadow to create a backup tree and save that as a session. However, you can just put the backup in a file and write that as a new session, create a standard new session iso image with mkisofs (and maybe use graft-points to do a rename if you like) then burn that.

But in your case why don't you use rewritable CDs which should work
out of the box.
A second possibility is to directly write to the raw device of ZIP
drive. I'll try that and report later. But a ZIP medium is much more
expensive than a rewritable CD and you don't need a ZIP-drive either.
The 100MB ZIP is pretty small for backups, CDs have more breathing room.

--
E. Robert Bogusta
 It seemed like a good idea at the time